Sunday, August 02, 2009

Getting there!

Writing these posts gives me the perfect opportunity to take a breather, because I notice that I don't necessarily stick to chores of threes, but sort of keep going until I'm too tired to go anymore and I have to stop and do something else. I check my emails and answer them if there are any, that's a good break, but then I forget to have something to drink and really relax as I am on the edge of my seat, ready to go and tackle the next thing. I work as if there is no tomorrow and for me there isn't, because I don't know what my mood will be like tomorrow and this may all be over. I have to grab this opportunity while I can, mad as it is.

So, where was I?

I made a bucket of hot soapy water with dish washing liquid and washed the windows with it with a cloth and a squeegee and I got good results, very clean windows. Then I took the same bucket of hot suds and cleaned all the shelves of the bookcase, but the real surprise came when I got the stepladder and climbed on it and looked on top of the bookcase. Quelle horreur! It was black with dust, so I got my cloth very wet and soapy and applied some elbow grease. I know it is because I smoke that everything gets such a sticky layer of dirt. That's the price I pay.

Anyway, I am now in the possession of a very clean white bookcase with an empty shelf to put a sculpture on, which I must do in a while. I had a basket sitting in the opening, but decided to add that basket to another basket that was also sitting on a shelf, thereby creating the space. I think I have a sculpture that will fit right in there.

Then I got a bucket of white latex paint out and found a brush and painted some sections of the walls in the kitchen that for whatever reasons had become discolored. I brushed it on in such a way that it's not immediately obvious that there is a slight difference in the shade of white and when it dries, I don't think you will notice it.It looks a lot better anyway, but really, that whole kitchen needs to be ripped out and revamped. It's old and tired and inefficient. I hope the housing corporation does something about them soon.

Then I took a bucket of suds and cleaned the tiles beneath the wash basin in the bathroom and all along the water pipes that run to the shower. That had never been done, as far as I know, especially not all those years that I had been depressed during my sons illness. I cleaned the bottom of the wash basin too and even found spider rag there.

Finally, I took the bucket and emptied it in the shower basin and gave it a quick scrub before all the sudsy water disappeared and that was that.

All I have to do now, besides the chores that are left on my list for tomorrow, is walk Jesker and get the trash ready for tonight to put outside. Then I am going to take a shower and wash my hair and put on my pajamas. Last of all, I am going to do some ironing, because there may be some clothes in the basket that I want to wear tomorrow.

I am really beat now and I am getting tired, so I think I will sleep well tonight, but the whole thing has been a fun experience. I didn't know I could still do that much work on so little sleep and so little food. I am ready to eat now.

I hope you enjoyed my journey into this slight madness with me. It's been an incredible experience, like a dream and I am now waking up. I have sore muscles.

Have a good Sunday evening or whatever your time of day is.

See you again soon!

Ciao...

5 comments:

Maureen said...

Oh my, just READING this makes me tired! And here it is just 10 am on a lazy Sunday! I will finish laundry today; probably vacuum up and hopefully do something artistic today. I have another day off tomorrow due to a stat holiday in Canada. Yipee!

Hope you are having a restful evening enjoying your nice clean apartment.

Babaloo said...

I was going to say the same thing as Maureen, will you ever stop, Irene, you're making me tired just reading! ;-)

I think our house could do with such a fit of cleaning madness on my part because I know there are some really manky corners (I'm not telling you where they are, though!).

Now, get your PJs on and relax, woman!

anon said...

I used to have those phases of 'cleaning madness', I miss them because it feels good to look at the difference your labor has made to your living environment.

I've had a house-keeper for so long, I'd forgotten that feeling. Maybe I'll get into a few corners that she's missed, see if I still enjoy that feeling : )

Gail said...

Wonderful! I love when I get some energy! Sounds like you took full advantage of it!

John M. Mora said...

i am home doign time sheets - need to accoutyn fo seven hours of each work day,,,,horrid "end of month" rite of il passsage...you too seem busy.

Interesting how you just pain away...