Thursday, August 13, 2009

Obviously...


Well, it must be obvious to all of you that I write these posts to avoid doing one thing, and one thing only, and that is housework, because it is waiting for me and I find all sorts of excuses, short of glue on the computer chair, not to get up from here. I would say we have a case of serious household neglect here, but believe me, things aren't as bad as I make them sound and an hour's worth of work will set everything right. My household is never in as dire straights as it was when I was depressed and couldn't be bothered at all, and I do like to pretend that I'm not bothered one bit now and can wait it out.

Saturday, my friend Joost is coming, so Friday afternoon, I'm planning on doing most of the work, including mopping the living room floor. I'm not seeing my friend Von on Friday, because she has other plans in another part of the country, so I'll have the whole afternoon off. In a way, I'm happy about this, because it fits better with my schedule, so I can do some grocery shopping on Saturday morning and change the bed then.

Because I walked the dog so late this morning, and we went quite a distance, he is still sound asleep on his blanket and gone from this world, oblivious to everything. I was kind of hoping that he would be awake by now, but I suppose I will have to wait a while before we go on our next trek. I want to do it before it seriously starts to rain again, which it is supposed to later on today, I think. And me without a raincoat! I'll wear my jeans jacket.

Toby just managed to make clear to me that the kibbles that were left in the bowl were stale and that I had to pour those out and put in new ones. That's quite an achievement for a cat. He hardly gave me time to pour the new kibbles in, that's how hungry he was. The poor cat. Sometimes my mind is not quite on things the way they should be and the animals have to make themselves quite clear to me.

Toby eats first and then Gandhi eats, that's the hierarchy in this place. Toby is the dominant cat. That's the way he walks around here too, with a sense of ownership, if he could strut, he would, he is cool. Gandhi is just a lovely female cat with a lovable personality. She is very affectionate and thinks the world of Toby, but she has a healthy amount of respect for him. He gave her a short beating once to let her know who was boss and that was it. The hierarchy was established and has remained so ever since.

Despite my efforts at cooling the apartment down, it never gets cooler here than 24 degrees Celsius, even when it is 18 outside. Maybe I shouldn't complain about that, because it is rather a nice temperature. The walls seem to trap the heat.

Oh, guess who just woke up? Yes, His Highness himself. He hasn't quite made up his mind what he wants yet and is rolling around on the floor. Any minute now he will know what he wants and come ask for it. I guess becoming fully awake takes a while.

It is raining a little bit now, but not enough to keep us from walking. It will keep doing this for the rest of the day, probably. That's been forecast. I don't mind it too much, because it means it's cooler outside and I like that. That's why I'm not going to mind Autumn, as long as it doesn't bring sleet and wet snow.

Well, Jesker let himself out and came back in very proudly demanding a snack as a reward. I guess that's how the system works when the back door is open. No doubt he'll really have to go out shortly, because he only piddles there and does none of his other business out back. He is a very hygienic dog.

I bought chocolate granola bars at the store, and although I'm eating them. I don't like them very much, because they are much too sweet. I am going to finish the box and never buy them again. I think they must pack most of those kinds of foods with lots of sugar to make it appetizing to kids, because thatÅ› the market it is geared for. I was royally disappointed, because I was expecting something more crunchy and wholesome, instead of something so soft and sweet.

Most of those "healthy" in between snacks are loaded with sugar and very fattening, even though they claim to be low in fat. You may just as well buy a box of ordinary cookies, or wheat biscuits, which are excellent with a cup of tea. There's nothing better than dunking your biscuit in a cup of hot sugared tea. Does anybody know the joys of that anymore? That's what we had when we were kids and we came home from school. Your mother at home waiting with a pot of hot tea on a tea cozy and a box of biscuits and an apple to take outside when you went to play with all the other kids in the neighborhood.

His Highness has gone back to sleep. I don't know what to make of it. He is laying here beside me without a care in the world. I guess that's what you do when you are a 12 year old dog. You sleep a lot. It's raining harder now, so maybe it is just as well.

Well, now I will do a little bit of housework, just enough to satisfy the Household Gods that must be kept happy. First, I must eat something.

Cheerio...

9 comments:

aims said...

Oh Irene - you have made me smile on a really cool about to rain kind of day here. We are supposed to have a high of 15C today and 13C tomorrow.

The antics of your household keep me well entertained.

Babaloo said...

I think I've done my bit today to keep the household gods happy. So now I can relax.

Oh, I love dunking plain biscuits into a mug of tea! Delicious.

And you're so right about the granola bars. I tried finding some without added sugar once, can you imagine what a feat that was?! I was unsuccessful, of course.

Jeannette StG said...

About those Granola bars, Irene - is there by now something comparable as a Trader Joe in Holland? They cut out a lot of sweet and preservatives out of anything they make. You are right -healthy is not healthy when it's so sweet it make your teeth hurt:)
Am glad I have a compadre in not liking housework. Have a a good rest of the week!

A Confused Take That Fan said...

Ooh I hear you loud and clear about housework! Tedious! I also generally only clean before someone comes so make sure I have visitors at least once a week or it declines into a dreadful state. Thanks for visiting my blog x

Maureen said...

My dog Casey is 12 too! Yes, she sleeps a lot... but much to the chagrin of the other family members, thinks she "protects" me from any and everything else. She is my guard dog whenever I am in the bathroom... embarassing, really, when I am in there, I hear her growl low at any passersby...

I had a funny thought; I wonder what Jesker would write if HE had a blog? A Dog Blog.... hmmm.... ;)

Maggie May said...

Those cereal bars are packed with hidden sugar, Irene. I don;t know why they call them healthy. MIght as well buy a chocolate bar & have done with it.

We had a very hot day today.

Nite nite X

Selina Kingston said...

I know what you mean about blogging getting in the way of household chores. That seems to be happening to me a lot lately!

Gail said...

We all seem to have fallen prey to a terrible disease going around...blogdom is quite addictive, like that next drink we can't say no to.

Wisewebwoman said...

those granola bars are evil, Irene, they don't even taste good. You are better off making your own with fruit, nuts and organic grains and honey.
it is still wonderful weather here, incredible days.
XO
WWW