Saturday, August 29, 2009

Sitting here...


Now, when I need to get the show on the road, I am sitting here with my very nice mug of coffee, being reluctant to get started. You see, there are many hours in the day and only so many chores to do, and I say, "What the heck, let's throw caution to the wind and live a little!"

I need to clean up the kitchen and hang up a load of laundry, but it will all get done in its own good time. There's no need to go rushing off into 12 different directions and tear myself asunder trying to get all things done at once. There is no need for that at all. I feel so perfectly cool about this, that if I were any cooler at all, I would be asleep. Not that I'm in the least bit drowsy. No, not at all, I'm just feeling very relaxed.

I've walked the dog and therefor I am dressed and even wearing shoes, uncomfortable as they are, and I should really just kick them off and go bare foot. I always say to the dog, "Shoes, shoes!" when we are about to go for a walk and he looks around him quickly to see if he can spot any and he gets very excited when I put them on. He is a well trained dog who hasn't eaten yet, but who's sound asleep behind me on the bare floor, where I assume he is comfortable enough. Silly dog!

I slept well last night and even started to perspire, despite the cool temperatures, and I think that's because of my hot flashes that I still seem to suffer from. Every once in a while, but especially at night, I blush all over and get very warm. The hot weather is extremely unkind to me and I sweat like crazy and have to take off as many clothes as is decently possible. Therefor I love it when it's cool outside and I can go out with just a few clothes on and be comfortable. It's only 23 degrees in the apartment and I've been waiting for a long time for it to get that pleasantly cool, relatively speaking.

I've been drinking from my new coffee mug all morning and smiling to myself as I use it. Isn't it great when small things can make you so happy? I very much like how little things hold so much meaning to me. Not the things that cost the most, although I am very happy with some of them also, but the small things that cost a pittance, or nothing at all, and would be hard to replace. All those little things have stories attached to them that I could tell you and you may be interested in hearing them some day when I'm feeling especially nostalgic.

I have finished my boring book and even the ending was boring, but I'm glad it is done. Now I've moved on to Sea Glass by Alice Shreve and I'm reading it quickly. It's a collection of short stories and I don't have to keep track of a plot line and all sorts of characters, although some of them come back in repeating stories. I like the cover of the book and I think it is one that I'll keep and not mooch. Some books have especially nice covers that just appeal to me and very often it is the color used. Certain colors are soothing and pleasant to the eye and make you feel good. No doubt that helps in the sale of them.

Outside it is cool and windy and the clouds are making their hasty way through the sky. It is only 17 degrees Celsius, which is cool for the time of year. I like it, though, and couldn't ask for nicer weather. I find this typical Dutch weather with a typical Dutch sky that you find back on paintings of the Old Masters of the 17th Century. I imagine that people back then laid in the grass and looked at the sky and saw the same familiar clouds as I do now. That's how little things have changed, at least there.

The dog is rolling around on his back, being playful. No doubt he'll want to eat now. He will try and make this clear to me, so I'm waiting for that to happen and to see how he will go about it this time. I also have to eat, so I will bring this to an end, as it was just a short hello to start the morning with. I will be hanging up the laundry after we eat.

Have a really terrific day!

Ciao...

6 comments:

Gail said...

What a wonderful start to your day. Have fun and do not work too hard and spoil your whole day!

Breakfast in California said...

Miss you more than coffee? Hard choice, LOL! Hope you have a great day. We've been having fun with Farm Town on Facebook. Check it out!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It sounds like your morning has already started out fine and dandy. May the day continue on in the same vein. I enjoy hanging the laundry out to dry on the lines. Your weather sounds lovely, and I love paintings by the Dutch Masters. Enjoy your day. Here's a quote for you that I have on one of my blogs.

"Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone.

The wisdom of life consists
in the elimination of non-essentials."

Lin Yu Tang

Enjoy your day ~ FlowerLady

Maggie May said...

Glad your day has been so great. You are right it is the small things that often bring the most pleasure in life. Not always expensive. Some things are free.

Just came back from the sea with my husband, his twin & sister in law. Very good day out. Only cost us our meal. Fare was free! The sun was free and the sea was free!
Have an excellent evening.
X

laurie said...

these last two posts have been very pleasant.

i like the mug exchange!~ my sister and i did that once on a trip, though it wasn't mugs. (it was flower vases.)

Irene said...

Flower Lady - Yes, I agree, less is more and the more unencumbered I am, the more I can appreciate life and the less there is I must do, the more time I have to love the other things I do instead. Therefor, I like your quotes and, if not for the clutter, I would print them and hang them up. The general idea lives on in my head, though.