Sunday, December 28, 2008

Rather Splendid...


I just woke up from a rather splendid nap on the sofa. I think was asleep for more than 2 hours and, believe me, I needed it, because suddenly, this afternoon, my mood started going to hell in a hand basket and I could think of two things to do, either take an extra pill, which I am not supposed to do, or go to sleep, which I am when faced with the devil, so that is what I did.

I really thought I was going around the bend, but then I realized that I had gone to sleep very late the night before and that I had not exactly had my 8 hour beauty sleep and that maybe that was what the problem was. When in doubt about your state of mind, go to sleep and stay asleep long enough for the chemicals in your brain to normalize themselves again. This rapid cycling can be cut short very often by going to sleep and staying asleep for a long enough time.

I was a woken by the Überhund who thought my nap had taken long enough and who wanted some action. I let him piddle and sniff around out back and gave him a treat for being a good dog while I slept. He is a faithful guard dog and does not budge from my side. I think he spends enough boring hours with me waiting for something to happen, although he does appreciate long naps himself.

There had been one cat laying very heavily on top of me, moving up and down with each breath I took, no doubt being very comforted by that. Is it any wonder that there was an old wife's tale saying that cats sucked the breath out of babies' lungs? Cats belonged to witches and old crones, after all. I am practically an old crone myself. If you don't watch out, I will start brewing potions and teas and casting evil spells. And I have three cats.

Toby's chronic cold seems to have dissipated and he now no longer goes around sneezing and having runny eyes. It took awhile for it to pass, but he never did infect the other two cats. It never did interfere with his eating habits, although for a while he was very thirsty all the time. I made sure there was fresh water and milk, but things seem back to normal now. The cats don't like to drink water that has been standing for a while and I constantly have to replenish their dish with fresh water. Finicky is their middle name and drinking from a running faucet is their favorite activity.

You see I've changed the colors of my blog. I was infected by Jill of all Trades, who changed the look of her blog and it made me long for some changes myself. I would have done more, but that would have been too drastic for all of you and I'll save that for a day when I am really hypomanic and I don't know what to do with myself. You see, I do care about you when I am in my right mind.

It's been one heck of a lazy Sunday and tomorrow I don't have creative therapy neither do I have ergo therapy on Wednesday. I don't like it very much and am kidn of at a loss of what to do with myself. These diversions sneak in and give you something to look forward to and when they don't happen you have to find a way to amuse yourself and it can be tough, especially when the weather is too cold to find your solace outside. Taking the Überhund for an extra long walk is not an option, nor is spending any money at the moment. I am too dull to think of anything else.

It is just very possible that the ordinary me, without being the least bit hypomanic, is in fact a very dull person who can't get off her butt and think of very interesting things to do that don't require the input of any money.

Oh well, I think it is time that I fix myself something to eat and get into my comfortable pajamas. My so called lounge wear. If I am lucky, there will be something of interest on the television. I better check the online TV guide, though.

Hope you have a pleasant evening and that you manage to stay out of trouble. If not, tell me about it in the greatest detail.

Ciao...

10 comments:

among found objects said...

Liking the red, the snow, the positive attitude for 2009 and of course the naps. Happy new year. thanks for cheering me on.

lebanesa said...

pretty mandala and glowing Christmassy red.
Napping is a good escape and sleep a great therapy
hugs
xxx

Maggie May said...

Oh Irene...... I can't read any of that on the red. My eyes are not good enough and I suffer from migraine set off by visual things like that.
I hope you are OK! X

VioletSky said...

Have just woken up froma nap myself. Thought I was dreaming when I saw your newsest post and changes!

Jill of All Trades said...

Very interesting. A nap is always the best thing for me. I opt for naps everytime. Thought that staying home for two days straight I would have a nice nap but I've been too busy reading blogs, cooking and crocheting. Have a good evening.

Wisewebwoman said...

I don't like the red, Irene, too hard on the eyes. Even now in white comments I'm still seeing red!!
I find sleep the best cure all, I had a great nap today after lunch and then hiked for a few hours in a tidal basin.
XO
WWW

Breakfast in California said...

Maggie May, if you highlight the text on the page it comes up white and can be read quite easily.

Elaine Denning said...

I can't wait for the start of the new year - I don't like being holed up here on my own with a gammy foot!

I didn't notice any color changes. Have you changed it back again?

Oh...I've just read the previous comments and now I see that it was red. One of my favourite colours!

I hope the next few days are happy ones for you, Irene. x

Maggie May said...

Oh, that colour is better, Irene, and thank you WISEWEBWOMAN for your advice about the highlighting. I didn't know that!

Yes,better to sleep Irene and hope the mood passes soon.
Hope you have a better day tomorrow.
It is still very cold. Makes me want to curl up in bed but then I cough, cough, cough! Some blasted virus. just as well it can't be passed on through the blog, Irene LOL
'Bye for now! X

Maureen said...

Ha! My three cats love drinking from the faucet as well! I don't mind, but I have to make sure hubby doesn't see how often I let them do it... he doesn't like it. Well, too bad. I pay the water bill! ;)