Tuesday, December 09, 2008

It has been...

It has been a day and a half here. I feel like I've done a lot in one short day, but maybe that is just an illusion and I just seems that way. I know I was in and out of the apartment quite a few times.

It started late this morning, when I saw a flea on the Überhund and I hopped on my bike right away to the pet shop and bought Frontline Combo flea drops. They are the only ones that work well. When I left the apartment, it was snowing just a tiny little bit, but nothing too bad, although it was cold and windy. I am still wearing a skirt and leggings, so things are still bearable. I also wear a leather jacket and gloves and a scarf, that is how cold it is.

Later on, when I had to go see my SPN, it was snowing quite a bit harder and I didn't wear my knitted woolen hat for the sake of my hairdo, although I should have, because by the time I got there, I had a mop of wet hair. Well, never mind I thought. Just let it dry that way, at least it is still in shape.

I had a good talk with my SPN and was happy to inform her that my mood was good and that I was more able to be open to other people I met and more able to start and continue conversations. I think I have found some courage and some common sense due to some of the comments I have gotten here and they have helped me enough to put on my brave shoes and step forward instead of backward when meeting people.

So, that has been an improvement that I am happy with. I also notice that I am able to look people straight in the eyes more easily instead of looking away like I am used to doing, and I look at them with a cheerful face, mostly. That is if I like them and feel good about the situation and I rarely dislike someone bad enough to give them an angry look. I may look tired or weary or disinterested, but not angry.

My SPN and I made three appointments for what's left of this year, so I wont have to miss her at all, and I am happy about that, to not have to go through the holidays without her support.

Then I rode my bike home and the snow that fell was wet and nasty and I got good and wet and when I got home, I took a towel and rubbed my hair dry and as a result, I got very messy hair, which was interesting and gave me a whole new look, so I left it that way for now. It's dried up like I am a punker.

Then I thought about my glasses and how little they were helping me see well and how I really should go to the optometrist and have my eyes checked again and I thought, well why not do that right now and get it over and done with. So, I put on my long winter coat and a dry scarf and took the bus downtown and walked through some more wet snow to Specsavers. They had me on record from the last time I was there and I could get an appointment in one hour's time, which meant I had to kill an hour downtown.

I bought a pack of cigarettes, which I had neglected to take with me, and went to Café Monopole and found a table for two on the heated terrace and ordered a cappuccino. It quickly came with a chocolate and a cookie and I ate the chocolate, which was white in the shape of a wreath. At the table next to me, here were four women from the north of the country laughing and speaking in their own dialect and I kept silent, because I didn't want them to know that I understood everything they said, but sometimes I had to smile. They were really funny and typically women out on the town.

When I got to Specsavers, I was right on time for my appointment and I had my eyes measured first and then saw the optometrist who did the actual testing with different kinds of lenses. He had the results of the exam when I was there before and said that the glasses I had probably weren't helping me very much, because both my eyes had gotten worse. As a matter of fact, my right eye needs a lens three times stronger than what it had needed before.

The optometrist suggested that I see an ophthalmologist, because he thought that was an awful big change, so tomorrow, I have to make an appointment and I don't need a referral from by GP, like I thought I did. I don't know how much I should worry about this, but I have decided not to. I picked out a new frame in a different model than what I have now and the glasses will be done on Wednesday next week, so I am looking forward to that, because I really want to know what the world looks like when I have the proper glasses on. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

After that I went to the film house to have a cappuccino and a cigarette with the Exfactor and he was there and we had a nice little visit. It was pitch dark out by this time and the shops were closing and the streets were emptying of people. Luckily, it had stopped snowing and everything was merely wet and cold. We had our cappuccinos inside, but since the new smoking policy, we had to smoke outside around the ashtray by the door. It's not very cozy, but oh well. You smoke faster.

In the meantime, it was 6:30 and I had to go home to walk the Überhund and when I got to the bus stop, the most convenient bus for me just pulled up, so I was home in no time at all. The Überhund was very happy to see me and I took him out right away and he was very relieved. He had to go on all fronts and had been patiently waiting.

Now I am sitting here in my pajamas and my bathrobe and he is laying by my feet, sound asleep and almost snoring. The heater is on and for the first time in a while I am really feeling toasty warm. Boy, it sure was cold on that bike today with my hair sopping wet. I must remember to wear my hat the next time. My head was the coldest part of my body, not my legs in the warm leggings.

Regardless of the weather, it was busy downtown and there were lots of tourists. Damn foreigners! No, I'm just kidding. See, I am getting to be a regular native cursing all the tourists that crowd downtown. No, let them come and spend all their money, it's good for us.

Except for the weather, it was cozy downtown and I did somewhat get in the proper mood, although I don't have the money to festively shop. Luckily, we don't do presents at Christmastime. We just do the tree and the food, speaking of which, I should eat something, because speaking of food really makes me feel hungry.

Okay, this is a long enough epistle now and I can put it to bed. At the moment, it is foggy and 2 degrees Celsius outside. I hope that means that tomorrow the weather will be nice.

Have a good night, you all.



Mad Asthmatic said...

wow you have been busy today and it sounds like it was a really productive day as well. Have left you a comment re the Uberhund and his liking of milk.


Maggie May said...

That was an action packed day, Irene. You seem to be very "with it" and glad that you got your eyes tested. Three times the strength in one eye is quite a change though. No wonder you were struggling as your eyes were not balanced.
Don't forget to treat the cats for fleas too as the Uberhund probably got them from the cats in the first place.
Have a good night, Irene X

Lane Mathias said...

You had a busy day. I like the way, when you decide to do something, you do it straight away.

Listening to other people's conversations in cafes is a great past time. And women always have the best conversations:-)

Frances said...

Sounds like a really full and fun day. I could picture it all and even felt how chilly you got. I would have loved to sit with you at Cafe Monopole and have a funny conversation. Glad you enjoyed yourself and got lots of things done. The glasses sound a great move and hope all goes well with the opthalmologist. I remember last time your eyes got seriously worse it was connected with your meds... but I can't remember which meds or why. I hope it is something easily dealt with.
Hugs - keep warm in your cosy home with your newly-efficient heating.

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh you are a very model of efficiency today, Irene, brava!
I'm glad you got your eyes checked, it is important and you sound so much more confident in yourself.
Onward and upward, you're doing just grand!!

Tessa said...

Oh, I'm so glad you found your 'brave shoes' and that you had a productive - but rather cold - day!

Nice to picture you and the Uberhund all warm and toasty and content in the evening.

Those new glasses will make all the difference and give you a view of your world that you've probably missed for a while now! Wonderful!

Babaloo said...

Sounds like a very busy day! Great that you got your eyes checked out. I always try and push these things away from me, try and avoid them if I can. As a result it takes me ages to make any kind of appointment, medical or otherwise. Sigh. Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book. :)

Mean Mom said...

That was a good day, from the sound of it. We use Frontline for our cats. It's very effective, as you say, but regular treatment for the 3 of them does cost a bit.

Your punk hairstyle sounded very interesting!

I'm glad that you went to the optometrist. It's a relief to get on with something that's been at the back of your mind for a while.

John M. Mora said...

I need a cappucino. I am amazed you bike in the snow.

Just a dumb foreigner, mum.