Monday, April 12, 2010

All sorted out...


My stove (cooker) is amazingly clean. It has seen a lot of elbow grease today and a special soapy scrub sponge. Since I never cook, it was still caked on dirt around the burners from when the Exfactor lived here and used to cook and the thing hasn't been so clean since we bought it. It plain sparkles. Little does the domestic help know that this is years of neglect that she is cleaning up. The Exfactor always cleaned with a lick and a promise and I didn't do much better, because I was depressed half of the time.


Slowly the apartment is getting the cleaning it deserves and it's going to make me less embarrassed about having people over if they aren't wearing roller skates and passing through very quickly. Well, maybe it wasn't as bad as all that, but it wasn't great either from a decent housewife point of view. You'd think I had never cleaned house in my whole life and that I never used to run a household in a large house with a husband and two kids and assorted animals and all the rooms that held all that life and its accompaniments. Pulling out the vacuum cleaner used to be one of the first things I did in the morning. You wouldn't believe that now, would you? Maybe I will even get motivated to paint the baseboards now that everything is starting to look so nice.


I took a little nap sitting up on the sofa with my head resting on my hand which was resting on the arm rest. I was trying to watch the six o'clock news but missed it completely, so you see, I still need my little naps. I took one this morning too after I had been up for a while early in the morning. My psychiatrist asked me if I slept well and I could positively answer that. I do love to sleep lately and look forward to going to bed, especially since my duvet has been washed and my bed has clean linens on it. I am constantly washing sheets and pillow cases and changing my bed, because I do look forward especially to going to sleep in a clean bed and I do always have to think of dust mites, microscopic as they are. They bother me, the knowledge of them. I think I wiped out a large colony by washing the duvet and will do it more often now that I know it fits in the washing machine. Buying a second duvet will also be a good idea to use as a back up.


I was so very much not looking forward to the domestic help coming here this afternoon and in reality it wasn't bad at all. It has been the same girl for the third time in a row now and I'm getting used to her. She 's not bad to have around. She says thee to me and I say you to her. That shows our mutual positions to each other and I am comfortable with that. We don't need to get any closer than that. On Fridays someone else will be coming and hopefully that will become a regular person also. They should have scheduled it that way, anyway. It was hard when it kept on being someone else on Mondays, but now it is much better.


Well, it's time for me to go to bed. The Exfactor is coming tomorrow and I do want to be up when he gets here and not look like a bewildered woman in my bathrobe with my hair sticking up all over the place. I look that way with my clothes on too, but at least I'm dressed then.


Have a good night and sleep tight.


Ciao,

Nora







4 comments:

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. I did two hours of solid scrubbing and hoovering today. And after all that I feel quite low because I have seen the floor close up and realise I'm never going to get it really clean. It is some sort of matting and it's just dirt dirt and more dirt.

I'm glad you're feeling more at ease with the domestic help. It is difficult having strangers coming in. But you will get used to one another.

Hope you have a good night. I have really been struggling the last couple of nights to get off to sleep. I'm not sure why though. It's very unusual for me to lie there unable to drop off. Anxiety I suppose. Down with anxiety! (And failing that, down the hatch with a drop of alcohol!)

Bearfriend xx

Bernie said...

I love a clean home, I always feel better when my home is fresh and sparkling.....I have always been this way. I am sure you feel so much better as well and I am happy you have help with this. Depression must be horrible Nora, I am so sorry you suffer from this. I hope you have a good night's sleep tonight.
I am still feeling a bit iffy, hopefully tomorrow I will feel better.......:-) Hugs

Ivy and Haley said...

Funny, I just took a break from cleaning to browse blogs and this is the first one I came across. Guess I'd better get back to work!

Come visit me.
http://ivyandhaley.blogspot.com

Ivy

lebanesa said...

I love clean tidy houses and I hate housework...
LOL