Monday, November 24, 2008

Oh no!

To my great disgust, I think I am getting sick again. This in spite of the flu shot I got a few weeks ago. I have general malaise and pain on my chest and between my shoulder blades and it hurts when I breathe. I am out of breath quickly and feel like I can't do a lot, because I get so worn out. As a result, I left creative therapy early and made my way home, to sit and rest and see if that would help me. I made a doctor's appointment for early tomorrow morning and I still have to walk the Überhund, of course, but we manage with short walks. I am very uncomfortable and don't quite know what to do.

A long time ago I had something called costal chondritis, which involves inflammation of the cartilage in the area around the sternum, but now I feel it in my back too, so I don't know if this is the same problem. It was called Tietze Syndrome, but I don't know if you can have it in your back also.

Actually, I feels like I am getting a good bout of bronchitis, but I am hardly coughing and coughing hurts, breathing hurts too.

I just called the doctor's office because I had a negative temperature and they said I could come in at 4 PM, so that is where I am going shortly.

It keeps snowing on and off, but what there was on the ground is melted and this new snow melts too. We walked in it at noontime and the Überhund was very suspicious of it at first. He walked as close to the buildings as he could, trying to find shelter. I let it snow right on top of me and when it melted when I was inside, little rivulets ran down my face. I did dry the Überhund with an old towel. He likes that and does a crazy run afterwards.

Well, I have to go now, see you when I get back...

So, I have Tietze Syndrome and although it is painful, the only thing I can do is wait for it to be over and take Ibuprofen if I want to. I am not sure if I do, but pressed I will probably do so. It is especially where the ligaments of the ribs are attached to the sternum and eachother. So that explains the pain in my back also. My lungs sounded clear, not a peep out of them.

That was the medical update, wasn't that exciting?

On to other things. Somebody has to walk the Überhund and I guess that would be me since there is no one else here. That's a shame, because I would really like to curl up on the sofa in my pajamas and my bathrobe and nurse my pain. This is where I grab an Ibuprofen, watch me do it.

Oh yes, don't forget to vote in my poll over at the top left in the sidebar. I am going to take the results very seriously, so please vote, every day if you want. The more votes, the better.

I sure feel like shit for someone who only has Tietze Syndrome. I guess pain does that to you.

Okay, that is it for me for today. I am going to sit somewhere and get comfortable, maybe even lie down and get comfortable, at the risk of falling asleep.

I'll talk to you all later.

Ciao...

15 comments:

aims said...

Oh Irene! Even the name of it sounds painful. Take the painkiller. You're not going to get addicted and you'll feel better all over!

And can't you just let the dog out into the backyard? He probably knows you're not feeling 100% anyway and won't mind.

Not get better.

Bev said...

Irene, I would walk your dog for you if I were nearer.

When I have flu I go to bed. Plenty of fluids and painkillers. Plenty of rest to give the body a chance to heal itself.

I certainly will vote again, but is it me or have you changed the name of your blog without even waiting for the results of the election...!?

Cate Rose said...

So sorry you're under the weather again, Irene. Hope you get well real soon.

TIP: Don't get flu shots. IMO, I think they're one of the biggest rip-offs brought to us by modern medicine. Nearly everybody I know who gets a flu shot comes down with the flu. What kind of BS is that? I never get the shots and I never get the flu. Sometimes I get a cold, but never the flu.

Anyhow, feel better, okay?

Love & Hugs

Stinking Billy said...

irene, the medical update may not have been all that exciting, but it was a little surprising. You phoned the surgery and got an appointment for the following day, than just called by there and were given one for later the same day? And all for a touch of flu? Okay, then, for whatever. Is that the Dutch National Health programme or private practice?

Maggie May said...

Trust you Irene to get something a bit unusual! Seriously though, I hope it passes soon. I had never heard of it.
Will investigate what all this voting is about soon. Hope it is nothing too technical as you know what I am like!
Take care X

Irene said...

Aims, I am taking paracetamol, 500 mg, and it is helping me a bit. I couldn't find the ibuprofen.

I could let the dog out on the patio, but he won't poop there, because it is so small. It wouldn't be a nice thing for me to do.

Thank you for caring, I know your heart is in the right place. Hug!

Bev, you caught me out, yes, I did change the name on an impulse. I should change it back, shouldn't I?

Connie, I never get the flu anyway, so maybe you are right. I don't know why I got Tietze Syndrome this time when there is no good cause for it. I suspect the flu shot.

Billy, we don't have a national health program anymore. Everybody has private insurance now. There was a cancellation, so I got lucky and got in the same day. Usually you get in the same day or the next, depending on what time of day you call.

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh get well you!
I wish I could walk Jasker for you, he would fall in love with Ansa, all male dogs do.
I voted in your little poll. But you changed the blog in the meantime ;^)
XO
WWW

lebanesa said...

sorry to hear about that. The pain sounds like pleurisy, I know from experience how horrible that is.
Keep warm and relax.

lebanesa said...

BTW I keep changing my vote. LOL

Bev said...

More.

I agree with Connie Rose about the flu shots. And I think this applies to some of the shots you get for animals as well.

We used to spend a fortune on getting our dogs a yearly vaccination until I read somewhere that this is not necessary, they really only need one and is just a way for vets to make more money. Also once we paid £40 for Tessa to have a vaccination for Kennel Cough when we had to have her put in kennels once and she still got it and we ended up forking out £250in vets fees (actually we should have used the Kennel's Insurance but we didn't think about that at the time).

Somebody once suggested to me that if your dog has something minor like an eye infection your best bet is to go somewhere like a chemist to get an eye remedy for humans and it will work just as well and save you a lot of money.

I am not suggesting you yourself give up on the flu shots however, or to take Jesker to the chemist, I am merely trying to write an interesting and informative comment that may be of interest to some of your other readers.

Lane Mathias said...

Hope you feel better soon Irene.
Stay warm. Take care.

Irene said...

Maggie, voting is easy, trust me. Would I fool you?

WWW, yes, I did, that's why you meed to vote again and again, until I get the message. I won't change it again, promise.

Frances, you're allowed to keep changing you're vote. as long as you vote. I won't change the name anymore now.

Bev, you may well be right about the inoculations, I haven't done my dog in a while anyway. Too expensive. As to the anti-biotics for eye infections, you may well be right on that also. I would have to look into that and see if the chemist would have that available for me over the counter.

Lane, thank you, I am taking the best of care.

The Artful Eye said...

I hope you're feeling better. Seems like lot's of folks are sick. I've just been too darn busy slaying dragons and not enough creative time.

I can't keep up with your blog name changes. I think you'd be happiest if you settled. Didn't one of your therapists say stick with an identity?

Take care and get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Irene,
I just hate that you are feeling so bad. How long does it usually take to clear up? I have never heard of it, but it sounds very painful. Rest and medication sound like the only way to get better. Too bad you can't tie a long lead out into the backyard. This way the dog can just reach the part of the yard where he piddles and has to come right back in the door. I would look into this, it seems like too much walking at this point, would be over doing it.
Take Care of yourself.
Sending hugs and chicken soup.
XXXXXXX

Stinking Billy said...

irene, my little pet, forgive me for the touch of levity in my comment of yesterday. I knew that it wasn't just a touch of flu, of course, but I had hoped to get a response from you, albeit a wan smile.

Anyway, all those aches and pains are definitely not funny, so here's hoping the doc gets you fixed up pdq. x