Saturday, October 31, 2009

It's that time of the night again...


After dinner, while watching the news, I was sitting in the corner of the sofa, quite upright, not even with my legs tucked underneath me, but that is how I fell asleep. I woke up at 11 pm in just about the same position, but with my right arm dangling off the side and with my hand all swollen up. That just goes to show you, that when I need to sleep, I will do it under all circumstances, no matter what the discomfort level is, because my hand hurt.

Needless to say, when I woke up, I was wide awake and didn't have one ounce of sleep left in me, so I turned on the computer and have been amusing myself with it ever since. I looked up interesting photos on Pixdaus to illustrate my posts with and then cut them down to the proper size in Paintshop Pro. This is the kind of work I like to do, because it is pleasurable, but not difficult, and I takes some amount of time to find the right photos, so an hour flies by in no time. I do have to sort through a lot of photos, because tastes differ and what one person considers pretty, another person does not, and that means, of course, that you may not like my choices either. But I like them and that's the most important thing.

I have completely adjusted to my glasses and the strength of them and they are so very comfortable to wear, I don't know how I ever did without them, or how I ever was satisfied with the other ones. Well, I wasn't, that's why I wore them so seldom. These are just perfect and I can wear them all the time for any kind of job, which is how it should be. I thought it was strange that I had to take my glasses off when I sat behind the computer. It just didn't seem right. If you have to do this, they may not have been adjusted to your eyes properly.

Jesker is very dissatisfied with me, because he really wants to go to sleep in the bedroom, but because I'm not there, he feels that he needs to stay out here with me. He longs to lie down on his comfortable pillow, though. The poor guy, he is so torn. That's loyalty for you. I hope he chooses for his pillow, I would not be the least bit insulted.

When I was downtown today, I was not the least bit tempted to go shopping and there have been times when that has been different, when I thought I had to buy something for myself whenever I was in town. I am so strict with myself nowadays, that I hardly ever permit myself to give in to the urge, not even at the nice store that has continuous sales and where I very often find very good deals. These days, all I do is pay bills and buy groceries and buy the odd little thing for myself now and then. A book or something. Nothing big. I try to buy myself a treat now and then, but I never spend a lot of money on myself and the treat has to be just a little thing, but something I am happy with nevertheless. It seems that life has gotten very expensive for everyone and everybody is feeling the crunch.

Yet when I am downtown, I see people walking around with numerous bags from expensive stores and I wonder how they can afford to shop like that still. It seems that there is a segment of the population that's doing just fine and that can spend money as usual. That surprises me in these times and I think it is so wasteful. If I were in that situation, I would certainly not waste my money on expensive items, although they say that money must roll. I am exposed to too many people who have to make it from one month to the next and really watch their money, and then it seems almost obscene to watch people shop with so much abundance. I think there are people in this society who have no idea what it is like to have to account for every Euro that you spend. Especially not our government leaders, who have such unrealistic points of view about what people can live on. I shouldn't complain, though. I am still much better of than a large majority of the people in this world. On top of that, I have excellent health insurance, something that even a lot of people in 'rich' countries can't afford.

Oh. I have to make sure I don't get bogged down in politics, but you may have noticed that our prime minister is in the running for president of the European Community. They can have him, for all I care, I'm sure he'll do a fine job and make everybody happy. We can get another prime minister easily and maybe one who does a better job at leading the government. It seems he is a quite popular candidate. That's because he doesn't ruffle any feathers.

Okay, that's enough about politics and economics. Back to the domestic scene. Toby is very happily crunching down on the dog food. The next time I will have to get the mini kibbles, they will be easier for him to eat and the dog may like them better too. Anything to make these animals happy. Jesker usually likes the kibbles for small dogs better, he likes to vacuum them up out of the bowl. I had forgotten about that.

I must seriously consider going to bed now. I do want to get some sleep before the day starts and more than that actually. I wish there was an easy way for me to silence my digital alarm clock, but I haven't figured it out yet. So promptly at 7 am I need to shut it off. That's okay really, I can take my medicines then and go back to sleep.

Alright, off I go then. Have a good morning or a good night. I will be sleeping.

Ciao,
Nora

7 comments:

Maggie May said...

Love the photo. So delicate. You always seem to choose lovely things.

If I was to fall asleep like you describe, my limbs would be locked in agony! You sound like a contortionist.

I hope you sleep till at least lunch time. Maybe Jesker will wake you when he needs a pee!

Have a good day (or half day) when you wake!

Nuts in May

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. I actually read this at coming up to 4 in the morning but didn't leave a comment then as I decided I just had to get to bed! So another late bedtime for me. But at least I slept 7 straight hours. Still not happy with myself though. Try again tonight ...

I'm glad you have no urges to spend lots of money. Being and feeling in control is so important to mental health. You seem to have got the financial aspect nailed down these days - your bank manager will be pleased!

I am in town so little these days I have no idea if people are spending or not, or even if there are sales on or not. Makes little difference to me. I have spent too much in the past and consequently have far too much stuff already.

Re Euro president - Aaaarrgh! Tony Blair. Aaaaaagh! They are touting this grinning idiot who is so unpopular in his own country his own party made him step down. Do we really want discredited hasbeens to be president of Europe? I bet he will get it as well. Some people are really born under a lucky star. We have not even had a chance to vote on this constitution - and if we do latterly get one (which we may if the current opposition wins next May) I can guarantee we would vote against if Blair gets the post. He is that unpopular.

I feel really angry now. That's why I didn't want to get into this at 4 in the morning!

I sincerely hope someone else gets the job!

Best wishes,
Bearfriend xx

I am now even more angry and frustrated as my connection is CRAWLING and this is the 20th time I've tried to leave this comment ... Lucky I copied it ...

aims said...

Have been watching the antics of Sam and his dog Grimm. It's almost as if the dog has separation anxiety. If Sam goes to another room for anything - the dog gets up and follows.

Some dogs just don't care - others really seem to. They almost have a need for their masters.Or - they could just be interested in what is happening next. Are you doing something more interesting than me sleeping here on my doggie blanket?

Sounds like Jesker is the same way.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I have been up since midnight. It is about 7.30 am now. I fall asleep when I sit down then wake up hours later.. stiff but with my fur babies on my lap keeping me company. I dont have any money to spare either and wonder where it comes from when I see the many full shopping bags around town. Some people fortunately for them dont know what it is to skimp and save. Lovely pics by the way.

Irene said...

Hi Frazzled, it sounds like you and I live in similar situations, in similar ways. That doesn't happen all that often, that you meet a fellow sitter upper at night with fur babies on her lap. It's a shame that we don't live in the same time zone, or we could keep each other company. I've been thinking about you tonight while I was up, though. I hope you come back and see me again.

Gail said...

Love the photo.

I need your help with all my photos gathering dust inside my computer.

Maureen said...

I fear Toby will start barking soon! ;)