Saturday, October 03, 2009


I went to bed in the wee hours of the morning, because, as usual, I had fallen asleep on the sofa in the evening and woken up at midnight. I spent some time answering emails and reading blogs. Jesker was very happily snoring on his blanket under the coffee table and I had not heard him do that in a while, so it was a good sound. It meant he was recuperating.

I was rudely awakened this morning by the mailman who had a package for me. I was wide awake after that and made myself a cup of coffee and turned the computer on to answer the next batch of emails. Jesker is still asleep and I haven't given him his medicines yet because of it. I should say, he is very busy sleeping, because it sounds like he is really making a job of it. He is sighing and snoring and grunting, which are just the kind of sounds I like to hear from him. I wouldn't tolerate them from anybody else, but when he makes them, I think it's great.

The package was a book sent to me through Bookmooch and I have now received 25 books. I'm not reading quickly enough to keep up with the incoming supply of them and I need to spend more time reading. I had planned to do that yesterday, but slept instead, which is not such a bad thing, but I'm reading a skinny little book now and I should be able to finish that today. I will make that one of my priorities. Jeez, that's really a tough task I set out for myself. I do have to make sure I set my goals very high.

The book was wrapped in bubble wrap and Toby has decided that it is great to lie down on. He is very happily purring on top of it, squeezing his eye shut repeatedly with the joy of it all. Gandhi is nowhere to be seen, but I'm sure she'll have her turn too. I'll have to leave it out now, for the weekend anyway, so I don't spoil the fun. I should get an empty box out and place that in the living room so they can amuse themselves with it. I'll have to look in the junk room and see what I can come up with. An empty paper bag would be fun too. How to amuse your cats in ten easy lessons!

In the meantime, I've given Jesker his medicines. The antibiotics wrapped in luncheon meats and the pain medication squirted into his mouth, with a slice of luncheon meat to follow for the bad flavor that I think it is. He doesn't seem to want to go out, though, and has gone straight back to sleep. I suppose he doesn't feel all that great yet and I shouldn't be too optimistic. I'm sure his advanced age counts too in how quickly he is going to recover. He was limping quite badly yesterday evening when we went out, I was worried about him making it home, but he was a trooper and carried on. I have to watch how far we walk, because he also has to have the strength to turn around and make it home again.

It's 11 degrees Celsius outside and there's a brisk wind blowing. That's 52 degrees Fahrenheit for you Americans. It's still warm inside the apartment, even though I have the top windows open. I think the neighbors are keeping me warm. I won't have to turn the heater on for a while and I'm going to postpone it as long as possible. I'll wear sweaters and socks instead. I do very much want to keep my energy bill down and not have any surprises at the end of the year when the final bill comes. I do so keep my fingers crossed for that.

I have to go now and do some useful things, such as water the plants and do the dishes. Getting dressed would be a good idea too, though I'd rather stay in my pajamas. I'm very comfortable and warm with my cozy cardigan over them.

Have a good day and enjoy your Saturday.

Ciao,
Nora

5 comments:

Babaloo said...

Sounds like a fairly chilly day. It was 12 Celsius here earlier on, I haven't checked since. It may have increased by a degree or so.

I think sleep is good for Jesker. Jack can sleep all day and considering that Jesker is ill, it's doubly important that he rests a lot. A short walk will be enough for him I guess.

I'm the same with my Bookmooch books! I see something interesting and I think I have to get it before someone else snaps it away from under my nose and so I always have a great pile of books to choose from. I love that! Feels like my own little library.

Enjoy your Saturday!

Maggie May said...

The books will wait, Nora, as there isn't a competition as to how fast you can read. It is for pleasure, don't forget!

Hope the invalid is doing well.

It is horrible here today and raining (which will be good for the garden & I need to see if the kitchen roof is leaking still) It is the first significant rain we have had in weeks.It is really cold & miserable too.

Hope you have a peaceful afternoon & evening.X

Gail said...

It is a beautiful day in Arkansas but I still have the pajamas on I wore all day yesterday.

Books are not a chore. You have a good supply and can pick and choose and enjoy them at your leisure.

I am so glad Jesker is recovering.

Have a wonderful day!

John M. Mora said...

A.bubble.wrap life for me.

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. When you love someone (somedoggie) you don't care if they snore! Love the "busy" being asleep!

Great to have so many books to chose from. Just take your time and enjoy!

I'm enjoying the coolness of the evening here. I'm so grateful for the cold at last.


Best wishes,
Bearfriend xx