Saturday, October 03, 2009

In the evening.


Jesker wasn't doing well today. All he did until 2:30 pm was sleep. He didn't eat or drink anything until Babaloo suggested to me that I carry his bowl of water over to him. That worked and he drank enough to quench his thirst. I took him out for a little bit, but it exhausted him and he went straight back to sleep. At 5 pm he roused himself and came over for a cuddle. I took the opportunity to give him a bowl of food, which he ate, and he drank more water, but then he went straight back to sleep again. I have to take him out in a while, because he doesn't ask for it himself. I think he forgets to do things, because he feels so bad. He didn't walk normally either. He walked like an invalid, very slowly and carefully. I don't think he's out of the woods yet.

I spent the afternoon reading and sleeping and getting six books ready to send overseas. That's always quite a job, as I have to find the right envelope, or brown paper wrapping, and then make sure I put the right book in and address it properly. It's like wrapping Christmas presents. The foreign addresses make no sense and I have to make sure I spell everything correctly. In my effort to do it right, I almost do it wrong. I'm always very excited when there's a new book in my mailbox, so I hope the people I send the books to will have the same kind of excitement.

I tried to mooch a book I wanted very much and there was only one copy of it available, but the person who owned it turned me down. He didn't want to send the book overseas. I ended up ordering it at Bol.com and it should be here next week. It's The God Squad by Paddy Doyle, another Irish writer, who I always turn out to like so much. I think it's the sorrow in their stories that touches me so. There something very sad about the history of Ireland and I am fascinated reading about it.

The church bells are ringing as if the Second Coming is about to happen. There's a cold wind blowing and the sun is going down. It's all very ominous. I don't like it.

I'm going to put on some warm socks and boots and walk Jesker for a little bit. I'm sure he needs to go out by now.

Have a good evening all of you.

Ciao,
Nora

10 comments:

Babaloo said...

How did it go on your walk? Hope Jesker is improving. Sleep is a great healer! Did the vet say how long it would be until he got better?

I'm the same with bookmooch books, I'm always excited to see one in my postbox.

Sending good vibes over to you and Jesker!

Anonymous said...

I hope the walk went well, for both you and Jesker.

I'm so sorry to hear that he is not feeling well, but I agree with Babaloo, sleep is the best thing when you are not feeling well. Make sure you keep us posted.

I've been so behind on my blog readings, I hope things are well. You have been in my thoughts.

XXXXXXXX

Cate Rose said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry Jesker's had a difficult day. You're both in my thoughts.

Maggie May said...

I do love that picture of all those bird boxes. I wish they were mine! Where I would put them, I don't know!

Sorry to hear that Jesker is having such a bad spell. We had a spaniel aged 12 who suddenly couldn't walk properly and lay panting in the shade a lot. It turned out to be heart trouble. Has the vet ruled that out?
I have had to dip my finger in water to try and get some moisture into sick dogs and cats, in the past & they have licked it off. Glad he is strong enough to drink from the bowl. Good idea putting it close.

I quite like packing up books for overseas and used to send English books to my son when he was in Japan. He said my choice was a bit girlie at times!
Have a good night, Nora X

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. I agree with Babaloo - sleep is a great healer. Animals always sleep a lot when they are ill. And the medication (though necessary) will be taking a toll on his elderly body as well of course. Lucky that he has you to take care of his every need!

I find doing parcels very trying and would never attempt 6 in one afternoon! Hopefully the recipients will appreciate your efforts.

Best wishes,
Bearfriend xx + xx for Jesker

among found objects said...

Poor poochie. Hope Jesker is better soon.

Gail said...

My heart is with you and Jesker, I hope things improve.

I have read Angela's Ashes and another book by Frankie McCourt(spelling?) and enjoyed them very much.

Ireland seems to call me with its sadness and it beauty. Roots of my family left Ireland during the great potato famine, maybe my blood is singing for Ireland.

Breakfast in California said...

Sleep does knit up that ravelled sleeve. Hope Jesker is doing better and will be back to his frisky self very soon.

Hot here and so we're doing as little as possible.

Maureen said...

Oh I am so sorry to read about Jesker.... I do hope he recovers very soon. Poor fellow. Take care, both of you.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Sorry to hear about jesker:( Hope he makes a quick recovery and that you don't worry to much about him.

Really love your birdhouse image today!