Friday, October 30, 2009

I can see!


I was a smart woman and slept a lot last night. I fell asleep on the sofa some time in the evening and stayed there all night and when I woke up in the morning, I had the feeling that I was not nearly done sleeping, so at 7 am, I called to say I would not be at creative therapy and went to bed where I slept until nearly one pm. It was wonderful, except that I almost forgot that I had an appointment with Von and that I had to go to Specsavers to get the new lenses put in my glasses. So, I was running a bit late and had to get dressed in a hurry and walk the dog and make cigarettes and call Von to let her know that I would not be there on time. Then I took a big deep breath and sat down and had a tall glass of juice, before I hopped on my bike to go downtown.

I met Von at the Our Dear Lady Square and together we walked the short distance to Specsavers. I handed over my glasses and they said they would be done in 15 minutes, so Von and I walked to the café and sat under the awning and had something to drink. I had a hard time with my glasses off, because my eyes had to make the adjustment and at first it was a strange experience to not have them on. The heating under the awning was on, so it was very pleasant there. Von ordered tea and I ordered cappuccino and I must say that it was delicious.

After 30 minutes I walked to Specsavers and got my glasses and put them on and the whole world looked different. Everything was so crisp and bright and clear. Full of confidence I walked out of the store back to the café, where Von was waiting, still nursing her tall glass of tea. I ordered another cappuccino and we sat wrapped in conversation for about an hour, until it was time to go home.

I always find the way back home easier to ride than the way to downtown. I don't know why that is, but I do it more gladly. I'm less bothered by the traffic lights and the traffic and the inclines I need to ride up against. I think maybe I just like going home.

My trusty four footer was happy to see me and the first thing I did was pet him for a while, so we could bond again. Then he got a treat and I got a glass of fruit juice and I turned on the computer. While I was reading my emails it dawned on me that I was reading them with my glasses on, which I had not been able to do with my other glasses that had been the same strength. This leads me to believe that maybe those lenses were not put in right and that the adjustment for the astigmatism hadn't been correct. Maybe the focal point had been in the wrong place. Anyway, now I can see the writing on the computer just fine.

I'm so tired now, that I'm going to put on my pajamas and have something to eat and veg out in front of the television. I feel a lot of sleep coming up.

Have a good evening,

Ciao,
Nora

5 comments:

John M. Mora said...

you can see - so how many fingers am I holding up?

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. I'm going to try and be smart tonight too!

So glad the glasses are such a success. It happened to me once that the lenses in the glasses had not been centred properly and they made my eyes hurt and were just not right.

I'm always feeling happier on the way home too!

Best wishes,
Bearfriend xx

Maggie May said...

Seems funny that I go to Specsavers over here too!
Glad you got the specs fixed. It was lovely to go with you to meet up with your friend Von and the whole thing seemed very enjoyable.
Have a good night X

Nuts in May

Gail said...

Wonderful...I always welcome clarity.

Maureen said...

I have the same concern with my newish glasses... I preferred the old larger style better, and I do believe they didn't get the focal point right. I am constantly cocking my head to focus.

One day I shall have to order new ones...