Friday, April 12, 2013

What a relief...

I slept very badly last night because after midnight I was not supposed to eat or drink anything because of that darn gastroscopy. I did wake up in the middle of the night, but it was no fun sitting here if I could not have a cup of coffee so I went back to bed. I spent the night burping up unpleasant things and was surprised because my stomach was empty.
Finally it was late enough in the morning to get up, but I sat in my chair like a mindless creature who could not get her day started at all. In the end I said to myself, "The heck with that, I am having a cup of coffee," and proceeded to make one. That was the saving moment of the day and as I drank it, I became quite normal again and was ever so happy. I could function!
Later in the morning, my sister picked me up and we drove to the clinic and waited until it was time for me to get called for the procedure. I had to put on one of those silly hospital shirts and got an IV needle in my arm. I was asked if I was sober and I lied and said I was, yes, and was wheeled to the room where the procedure was going to be done.
I thought I was really going to be knocked out by the anesthesia, but no such thing happened. I was alert for the whole thing and perfectly aware of what was going on. It really was not the big deal that I thought it was going to be and the whole thing was over in a few minutes. I had not worried about it ahead of time, nor should I have because it was unnecessary.
Back in my room, I got a cup of coffee and something to eat and my sister was soon there. Because it turned out that I was not drowsy at all, I could soon get dressed and we could go to the waiting area and wait there to speak to the doctor.
She told us that there was some inflammation of my stomach lining, but nothing serious and that she had removed a polyp, but that she had not seen anything to be concerned about. She thought my problems were the result of my gastric band because she had seen many people with stomach problems as a result of their gastric bands. She told me to see the doctor who was in charge of that.
Armed with a report for my GP, we left the building and I was greatly relieved that there was nothing seriously wrong with me. It takes a whole load of my shoulders. I have already made an appointment with my GP and the doctor in charge of the gastric band is going to call me on Thursday to discuss it and how I am doing and set a date to have it emptied out more.
That is my story and I am sticking to it.


Lane Mathias said...

Excellent news. Well done for taking it all in your stride and hurrah for the result! That's a big worry for you out the way.

Maggie May said...

Well done....... I've been thinking about you all day because I thought that my gastroscopy was one of the most unpleasant things I have ever experienced and I did have medication that didn't seem to work!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

VioletSky said...

Whew! I am now caught up with your troubles - though it was better reading the posts in backwards order so I got the good news first :)