Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Frittering away the time.


I've managed to fritter away the day doing I don't know what. Yes, doing all sorts of inconsequential things that didn't add up to anything worthwhile. At least, it doesn't leave me with a lot to show for. After I walked the dog this morning in the slushy snow, which was cold and wet, I ate breakfast and went back to bed and slept another three hours, which was wonderful and I'm convinced I needed it, because when I woke up, I felt great and ever so ready to enjoy the rest of the day. Of course, I started it off by turning on the computer and reading my emails.

Mistake # 1. Never turn on your computer at a random time, because you will get stuck there in the middle of the day and forget to do other things that are more important. I did remember to get dressed, which is good, because the mailman rang the doorbell with a package for me and I did have my clothes on and that was doubly good, because a while later the Exfactor showed up for coffee and a chat. I would hate to have him see me in leggings and a T-shirt. We're past that stage of intimacy.

He stayed for quite awhile and that took a big bite out of my afternoon and then I still had to walk the dog in the slushy snow. My boots have gotten wet and need drying out, but I keep wearing them, because I'm not feeling anything in my toes that's indicating cold or wetness, unless the feeling has gone out of them completely. I probably have wet socks and don't even realize it. After I walk the dog for the last time, I will take them off and put them on a radiator and let them dry properly. The Exfactor brought some cable holders to tack the cable of the computer to the baseboards with, but not enough, so I need to go to the hardware store to buy more.

I must make a list of things I have to buy before the year is out. It's adding up in my head, but I'm bound to forget something now, as there are too many items on it. I will sit down shortly and start writing that list.

The package I got from the mailman contained a book that wouldn't fit through the mailbox slot, but when I got the mail out of the mailbox, there was another book there and some Christmas cards, bringing the total to 13. I do hope I get more than that...

Eventually I remembered my wet laundry hanging out on the clothesline and brought it all in and put it in the washing machine for the spin cycle. It's done now and I can hang it up to dry shortly. Mistake # 2, don't hang up your laundry outside to dry when it's wintertime and it has been snowing and it may rain soon. Mistake # 3, don't trust the weather forecast on your computer.

Well, I have so little to show for my day, it's just outrageous. I did all these little things that are not worth mentioning. If you sleep half of the day and spend another chunk visiting with you ex, it takes care of a good portion of it. I also find myself tired now and I don't know why that is. I'm very much looking forward to going to bed and pulling the duvet over my head. It can be that visiting with the Exfactor has exhausted me. Who knows what sort of subliminal things take place while we meet? Maybe it wears me out.

I think I will hang up the laundry now and then walk the dog and have something to eat. Hey, this was supposed to be an upbeat post, but I 'm ending it in a minor mood. I'm just very tired suddenly. Have a wonderful evening.

Ciao,
Nora

8 comments:

aims said...

I see progress here my friend. You are realizing mistakes instead of just breezing past them without noticing. Plus you are analyzing the exfactor times and coming up with answers. That is all very promising.

aims said...

Drats - forgot to say -

That is all very promising - BABE!

Babaloo said...

It doesn't sound like a wasted day to me at all. Just because you didn't tick 10 things off your To Do list doesn't mean you didn't do anything. Honestly, I'm trying to get away from the notion of wasted time. No good can come from it.

Gail said...

Sounds like you did some things to me. Why is "doing" so important, we are human beings not human doings.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

"I'd wile away the hours, a-dancing with the flowers and a-singing with the bees...'

I won't say the rest because that would be very untrue but those were the words that popped into my head when I read your post title.

I hope Christmas will be a joyful time for you Irene and that the year ahead brings you all the good things you deserve and even some extras that you need:)

Maggie May said...

I don't think any day is ever wasted.
If it is a bad day then mistakes can be learnt from and the next day will be better :-)

Nuts in May

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. Spending time with people who care about us is never a waste. Maybe he felt a need to see you and make sure you are OK, or maybe it was purely to enjoy your company. Christmas week can be very stressful for some after all. You might be a haven of peace for him.

Bearfriend xx

Mary Q Contrarie said...

Yep the computer is a time draining machine. I think I have a solution for the clothesline situation. Get yourself a couple nice clothes drying racks then you can dry your laundry inside. I never have to trust the weather person this way.