Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cheese...


When Von had that cheese platter yesterday, she had all sorts of cheese on there, many of them were soft French cheeses and I tried some of them too. I love them so much, so when I was at the supermarket this morning, I nosed around in the cheese section and bought myself a small piece of Brie and when I got home, I let it get to room temperature before I ate it in two sittings.

I just ate the last bit of it and am very full, but it was delicious and I'm going to do that more often. I'm picking a different one next time, maybe a Camembert or a blue cheese, I'll see.The fact is that I like the softer cheeses the best, or the crumbly ones, and I like it when the cheese sort of melts in your mouth, when you hardly have to chew it.

I like food that is a delicacy and that you don't have to eat huge amounts of to be happy with, that just the flavor and the texture make you happy if you have some of it and you can savor the memory of it for a long time afterwards. I got this piece of Brie for 80 cents, so it didn't break the bank. It's a repeatable experience. I hope I can get another kind of cheese equally reasonably priced.

For a change, the animals didn't beg for any, so I assume they don't like French cheese and it's an acquired taste, but I must say that Jesker doesn't usually beg for food, unless it's a cookie, whereas Tobie will steal the lunch meat off your sandwich and has with a quick haul of his paw. He's very rude and uncivilized and has no manners whatsoever.

I've bought the food in pouches again for the cats and I can make a box last 6 days. You should see them when I empty the pouches into their dishes. It's like they have never been fed before. They attack their food like lions and eat it with great appetite. It's pure luxury for them, but that is because they don't like their kibbles very much and leave them sitting in the bowl getting stale and they make Gandhi barf. I got tired of cleaning it up.

As I'm writing this, I have the Tour de France on in the background. I like to turn the TV on when the Tour is on. I enjoy watching the scenery and listening to the commentators talk. They don't talk a lot of nonsense and do discuss interesting things considering they have to talk for such a long time. Their voices are calm and quiet and civilized. If I was laying on the sofa now, I could easily fall alseep by the sound of them.

Even though it is Saturday, and officially a work day of sorts, I haven't done much yet. In a while, I will get up and do a set of three chores. I've done a little thing here and there, but nothing that you can notice. I talked to both my sisters on the phone and I have to write a birthday card for my aunt and mail it this afternoon. I'll take Jesker for a walk at the same time.

Have a good rest of the Saturday, people. It's been raining here, off and on, so it's not very exciting to go out there. Luckily, I pick the right moments.

Ciao...

8 comments:

Dave King said...

I do believe we share a taste in cheeses. What else, I wonder?

VioletSky said...

I could be right there with you - eating soft and crumbly cheese, watching the Tour and sitting out of the rain. But I am here, doing just that!

Babaloo said...

Oh, I just love cheese. If there's one type of food I couldn't live without it would be cheeses. I love them all!

Can't believe you can make a box of catfood pouches last 6 days - how big are those boxes in the Netherlands? We get them with 12 pouches and Salem polishes off a whole box in about 4 days. It says up to 4 pouches for an adult cat and he usually has 3 plus whatever he catches outside. He normally doesn't touch the dry kibble either but I always have a bowl there for him, just in case.

Jeannette StG said...

Aaah, cheese - I don't know any Dutchman who doesn't like cheese (do you?). Except for blue cheese, I love every cheese I ever tried.

Our TV is kaput, and we'll have to wait till after our move with buying another one - how is the status with the Tour de France? Hubby likes to follow that one.

Gail said...

I love Blue cheese, just have not smell it.

Send me some rain, please.

Around My Kitchen Table said...

I love cheese. Soft and creamy brie, pungent Stilton, cream cheese, cambazola, yarg, camembert, emmental ....... now I'm hungry and the only cheese I have in the fridge is a lump of cheddar.

Maureen said...

Oh, Brie is one of my most favorite of cheeses! I love it with cranberries... a real treat! I can't get past the SMELL of blue cheese though; my dad loves it (and us kids would just hold our noses whenever he brought it out!)

I was thinking of you today while I cleaned house; I must take up your habit of only three jobs at a time; today I did far too much, and being under the weather, I am now too sore to be up much longer! Oh well it's done now, so I get to relax until I return to work Tuesday. Have a great Sunday! It will definitely be a lazy one for me!

paperbatty said...

I could almost taste that cheese and feel it melting in my mouth.