Friday, October 24, 2008

Willing.

I am sitting here being extremely sleepy, forcing myself to wake up, when I realized that I have been drinking decaf of all things. No wonder I can't seem to get the show on the road. I need my daily fix of caffeine. I'll very quickly try to drink two mugs of it to get it into my system as fast as possible.

I stayed up too late last night, after I fell asleep on the sofa watching the news. Now I still don't know what happened in the world. Oh no, I am a badly informed citizen. Tsk, tsk, we can't have that. I'll have to read the BBC news on line in a bit.

It used to be, before I blogged, that I read a lot of news on line and there were a lot of news and opinion websites I visited. Mostly leaning to the left, if not a little bit radical, but that is how I am put together. I liked Alternet and CounterPunch a lot. I read the Guardian for its good reporting and the New York Times for the American news. Common Dreams was a good website too. I read the Onion for a while for its nonsensical humor, but it got old after a bit. I visited the Al Jazeera network, but found it to be as normal as any other network, with the same sort of reporting in the same style. Maybe less biased in its point of view of the Arab world than the western one. There were some Dutch sites I visited, but they would be meaningless to you. The Groene Amsterdammer was my favorite one.

All of that has fallen by the wayside now that I am blogging. I only watch the news on TV anymore, but I refuse to watch the news on the commercial channels. That's not news, that's showmanship.

My friend Joost (pronounce Yoast) is coming to visit me this weekend and I had to get some different kinds of groceries, because I can't expect him to subsist on what I eat. I haven't seen him for almost a year, so it will be nice to visit. He can sleep in my bed and I will sleep on the sofa and you know that is no hardship to me at all. See how well that works out? I have been practicing all this time.

Alright, I am fully awake now and will do some housework before I see my SPN this morning. I do have to get this place in order a little bit. Man, that coffee sure changes your outlook on life.

Ciao...

5 comments:

Maggie May said...

First again, Irene.
You have not missed much on the news. Can be a bit depressing at times though I feel compelled to watch at least once a day. Always watch BBC news. I also like the local radio.

Glad your fiend is coming round to stay, also that you told us how to pronounce his name. Will be good to be in the company of some one new.
You have, as you say, had plenty of experience sleeping on the couch!

Another murky day.
My day off. Hope you have a good day whatever you decide to do.
X

John M. Mora said...

Have a great weekend.

Cait O'Connor said...

I feel sleepy today and was up late last night watching Question Time. Perhaps I should take up driking coffee!
Have a good weekend.

Lucky Dip Lisa said...

Thinking of you, read your posts but not sure what to say. As always I admire your honesty and your openess even about things that are not pleasent for you. You are an interesting person to read about and I wish you well.

CC said...

Good Afternoon,
I had my injections today for my back pain in my SI joint and I am way behind you today. I had the procedure at 2:15 and I was not allowed to drink anything so you know the first place I had my husband take me was to get a hot cup of coffee! Please have ag reat weekend, sound like you are off to a great start.