Thursday, February 19, 2009

Here I am...


Hi there, here I am, the master procrastinator. I have just managed to spend two hours waking up with numerous mugs of coffee on the sofa before I was able to get dressed and take the Überhund out. He woke me up at 8:30 because he had to piddle, otherwise I would have slept a lot longer. So, I sat there, slightly comatose, trying to remember how I was put together and how everything functioned. I stood for a long time by the Senseo machine trying to figure out how it worked again, not remembering that I had to put the pads in and the milk in my mug.

Yes, it was a tough time waking up this morning, but somehow I made it. It was very inconvenient that the dog chose this morning not to sleep late. So you would think that after I walked the dog, I would be cleaning the apartment and doing the much needed groceries. Well, none of that yet. Like I said, I am procrastinating and saving all those jobs for later when I am in the more proper mood. First I want to do things that are enjoyable, because I'm still tired and I can't even wrap my mind around a shopping list. I hope writing this post will get my thoughts organized well enough to do that when I'm done.

It's a gray day outside and not exactly stimulating to the mind. A little bit of sunshine would have been very welcome now. Let's hope it isn't going to rain, because that would really put a damper on things. Yesterday I very optimistically rode my bike without wearing my gloves because the sun was shining, not realizing that it was actually freezing and that there was ice on the puddles. Little judgment mistake. Sunshine fools you into thinking that the weather is nice.

I'm drinking coffee without milk again, therefor my need to go shopping. It's also Carnival this weekend and I think the stores are closed on Monday, so I need to calculate that in when I get the groceries. I'll have to buy extra milk, because there is almost nothing worse than drinking black coffee.

The whole town will be in upheaval again, with costumed celebrants everywhere. There is no town in the Netherlands that celebrates Carnival as well as this town. They know how to do it right. The parade lasts four hours. The celebration takes days. There isn't an sort of normalcy around. All is a madhouse which I stay far away from. You either love it or hate it. It depends on if you are brought up with it. There is an awful lot of drinking involved and it is expected that you make a tour of the pubs where loud carnival music is played and the carnival bands roam the streets and add their joyful noise. Kids are pulled along in costume in decorated wagons and drink sodas all day long. There they go from pub to pub. Afterwards, the streets are a mess of confetti and broken glass and discarded bits of clothing.

I may go and take pictures of the events, I haven't quite decided yet. I don't know if I want to throw myself into the general mayhem. It takes a brave person to do that.

Speaking of taking pictures. I am going to be taking more of things around the apartment starting today. Whatever I run across that might be interesting, I'll take a picture of. It will take me a while to get enough of them to post.

Well, I can't postpone the start of the day forever, so I may as well face up to it and make that shopping list. I should be wide awake enough now.

Have a great day.

Ciao...

9 comments:

Jill of All Trades said...

Good morning!

Babaloo said...

Oh, carnival is the ONE thing I really don't miss in Ireland. Really, I'm glad I don't have to live through this madness anymore. I've never liked it back in Germany. Well, maybe as a child because wearing costumes is fun when you're small. But later? No way. It always was a forced kind of cheeriness to me.
Thankfully, there's none of that here in Ireland and I'm really grateful for it. Well, St Patrick's Day could be the exception. :)

Would like to see photos of the Dutch carnival in your town, though!

Maggie May said...

I would love to see the carnival, Irene.
Hope you get some photos!

Nothing like procrastination early in the morning!

Wisewebwoman said...

I know how that is Irene, no thigh bone connecting to the hip bone kind of thing.
Some mornings take a little longer than others.
I fell asleep in a chair at 11 last night and then staggered to bed at midnight. Couldn't even read. Most unlike me.
I'm still waking up.
Thank Maude for good coffee, my daughter brought me some amazing Italian roast.
XO
WWW

lebanesa said...

looking forward to seeing your photos
You are sounding good.
I'm looking forward to having time to read your blog properly again now my work is almost finished. Missed you

Milo said...

sleeping is lovely Irene. I don't seem to be able to do it tonight for some reason (tried straightening my hair, and then I think i might try mopping the kitchen floor see if it helps).
Hope you are feeling better.
lots of love xxxxxxxxooooo Milo.

Reasons said...

Whatever you decided, I hope it was a lovely day.

Stacie said...

Hi again! I am so behind with the blogs that i read. I think Mardi Gras/ Carnaval is wonderful although I have never been to a celebration. New Orleans here in the States goes completely wild and I really don't want to go there. I would like to go to italy or the Netherlands.... hmmm

Maureen said...

Ooooh, can't wait to see more photos. I love looking at pictures of where other people live, how they decorate and arrange the things around their home. Wierd, I know.