Sunday, May 24, 2009

Hi People.

If you're looking for your award, you have to go down one post and you will find it there. If not, you're in the right place for some leisurely reading.

This afternoon, The Exfactor and I were supposed to move almost everything from my bedroom to the spare bedroom and move all the junk from there to my bedroom. In other words, we were going to exchange rooms, but he called me at 12:30 pm to tell me that his back was still bothering him and that he would be by instead tomorrow when I'm hardly going to be home.

So I said, "Never mind, I'll do it myself," and promptly made a plan of action and went to work. First I moved my own furniture out of the way, to make room for the first of the boxes and other junk that was sitting in the middle of the spare room. Then I started hauling that over and stacking it in a rational way against a wall.

That cleared up all the floor space in the spare room and I saw that I would have to do an awful lot of vacuuming, because I could hardly see the carpet for the grit and dog and cat hair and other assorted little bits and pieces that were unidentifiable. It had also been the Exfactor's hobby room.

Then I started taking the boxes of assorted items out of their shelf systems and brought those to the bedroom, very carefully one by one, easy does it. Every time a shelf system was empty, I took it to the bedroom and stood it against the wall and filled it up again, trying to do this in the most logical way, with all the heavy stuff on the bottom.

I did this five times with little breaks and glasses of juice in between. Finally, I had the spare room almost empty, except for one shelf system for which I could not find room and that also has some of my things on it. I am going to look at those items in a while and give them a better place. There won't be much left on it after that and the Exfactor should be able to move it out tomorrow.

Then I had to get rid of all the cobwebs, which were numerous, and vacuum the carpet really well. I took my time doing that and I got it cleaned up very nicely. If you run fast, you don't notice anything. That's what my mother always said.

After that, I had to haul my bed in there and that was a lot of work, because I didn't have the right screwdriver to take it apart. I had to leave it in one piece, but did take the mattress and the mattress support out, which was very heavy. It took some shoving and pulling and pushing to get it through the doorways and around various corners, but I did get it in place and put back together.

The night stand and the chairs and the standing lamp were easy. The long white bookcase was already in place and just needed too be cleaned up and have items placed on it. I did that, but I still need to clean the radiators and wash the windows, but I had run out of steam and called it a day. I will do a few small things now that I'm rested up again, but the hard work I'll do later this week.

I'm mighty proud of myself and said as much to the Exfactor when he called. He was quite surprised that I had done the job all on my own. I tell you, I'm no wimpy woman, I have muscles in my arms. You could say that I take after my father and don't know the word 'can't.'

All this time, Gandhi was 'helping' me. She climbed on every box and shelf system and on top of the mattress that was leaning against the wall. She had a ball. She ran from one room to another and jumped straight into an empty trash bag that made a lot of noise and when the bed was made, she went to sleep on it for a nice little while.

Toby was outside all this time, but at one point he came in and started meowing very confusedly and walking around as if he had lost his way, so I had to reassure him that everything was okay. He's not as playful as Gandhi, being the male cat of the house and having to think about his dignity and all. I think he also gets scared quicker, but don't tell him I said that. He has a reputation to hold up.

The dog just laid on the floor at a close distance and slept and if he got in the way he moved two feet and went on sleeping. I moved his pillow and that was just fine with him, he didn't mind one bit and laid down on it when he felt like it no matter where it was. That dog is unflappable. Nothing upsets him, except for cats eyeballing his very good food. I had accidentally bought him chunky puppy food and he certainly liked that! Gandhi only got to lick his empty dish.

Now I'm off to do those few little chores. I don't have any sore muscles or a sore back, so I suppose I am okay. Tonight I get to sleep in my new bedroom, now no longer called the spare room or the hobby room or the junk room.

Have a good night, everyone. I hope your day was as enjoyable as mine.


P.S. It was 26 degrees Celsius today, tomorrow it will be 27. That's about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.


Maggie May said...

It has been hot here all day too.

Now tell me, why did you want to sleep in the spare room in the first place?
You must be very proud of yourself moving all that stuff alone. That is exactly how I used to be. I am still inclined to do it alone even now, but obviously I am not as strong as I used to be.
Enjoy your new room. X

Maureen said...

Ah, good for you! I always prefer to do these things myself as well... I only ask for assistance when there is no way I can lift or move something.

And it is beautiful out today here too! A very pleasant 22 C.

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh Irene, I had to laugh, I'm just like you, when I want it done, I want it done NOW. But I do love what your mother said and I will remember it, great expression.
What are you going to do with the larger room? Will that be studio?
I'm getting very excited. Do tell!!
18c here and I did an 8k walk, hilly. Getting in shape for the Dublin marathon next week.

laurie said...

good lord, irene!! that is a lot of work. i would not have been able to do that alone. especially taking the bed apart. holy moly.

how do you like the change?

VioletSky said...

Determination pays off! Sometimes you just can't postpone a job and NEED it done immediately. Hope you slept well in your 'new' room!

Cheryl said...

I'm amazed that you did all of that by yourself. You are one tough lady! I hope that your muscles are not sore tomorrow, and that you get a restful night sleep in your new room.
I think changing things around a bit, is always good some smiles.
Glad the animals are adjusting too!

Gail said...

Atta girl!!! Good job and all my yourself. There must be a little stubborness in your family lineage also.

Babaloo said...

Wow, so much work! But well done you! How did you sleep in your new bedroom? Hope you had a restful night.

Crystal Jigsaw said...

Blimey, Irene! Good for you. About time us girls showed the men a thing or two!! Bet the place looks tons better already.

CJ xx