Saturday, August 24, 2013

What kind of Saturday is that?

After initially starting off well meaning, I have this afternoon decided that today is my lazy day and I am completely ignoring the big stack of dishes that remains undone on the kitchen counter. I consider that a very daring thing to do since this makes the kitchen look very messy and very hard to go into and use. It is only a little kitchen after all. I have, in a way, arranged things a bit neatly and made a half hearted attempt to make it look like I cared  a little, but I would not want anyone to come over and inspect it right now. I would get minus points for housewifery.
 
Well, it was never my intention to set out and be a really great one of them, but as a rule I do like things a bit more organized. I simply don't care that much today and want to save my energy for only pleasant things. I did do the groceries this morning on my granny bike armed with multiple shopping bags. It was the first time in a long time that I rode my granny bike and I have to tell you: that is the perfect bike for me. I like how the handlebar curves inward and allows me to sit very upright and helps me keep the weight off my elbows and wrists.
 
At the grocery store, I tried to shop smart, but I spent more money that I had intended and I tried not to look too shocked when I saw the grand total at the check out stand. Some of the things that I got will last a while, so they are an investment, but it hurt nevertheless. It probably wasn't necessary to get two bags of basmati rice, but I can tell you that I will be eating rice in the near future for quite a while.
 
I made Mexican rice for lunch, although I had intended to fix it for dinner. I was so hungry that I did not want to wait. After having eaten pasta for a week and feeling very bloated after every meal, I have to say that I do not have this problem with rice and it is very possible that I am going to turn into a rice eater. You can turn any dish imaginable into a rice dish. All you need is the right spices to jazz it up. It does make me wonder about the sandwiches that I eat and I think I again have to stop eating bread, even though it's such a convenient way to eat a meal. It's apparent that gluten does not agree with me.
 
I thought cooking rice was a difficult thing to do, but it turned out to be quite easy. All you need to do is boil two cups of water and add one cup of rice and let it simmer until the water is gone. I think I would like to get a rice cooker and maybe I will ask for it for my birthday. If I am not mistaken, I have just enough room for it in the cabinet where the pots and pans are. When you have a little kitchen, you have to imaginatively stack things to eek out all the space possible.
 
There was a sale on the expensive kind of lemonade starter, so I bought two bottles of it. It tastes very good and I can't get enough of it. I will be making ice cubes non stop.
 
 

No comments: