Saturday, August 31, 2013

An odd day...

The first thing I did yesterday morning after walking Tyke, was go to the grocery store to frugally do the week's shopping. I had very carefully made a shopping list that covered all the week's meals that would be nutritious but not too expensive. It included buying fresh vegetables which I am trying to eat every day.
 
When I got to the check out stand, and had to pay for the groceries, it turned out that I had spent exactly the week's budget with not a dime to spare. Talk about living on the edge.  I am actually trying to spend less than that so I can give myself a little room in case of the unexpected. Next week I am going to shop at the grocery store that is supposed to be cheaper, although it is farther away from my apartment.
 
I think my knee is in good enough shape to venture a larger distance from home as long as I don't go up any inclines, and I will plan my route accordingly. When I have done the shopping for one week, I have both carrier bags filled along with two shopping bags that I hang on my handlebars. That means I am perfectly balanced and can make the ride home easily. It shouldn't be too bad to have to go a little bit farther. Besides, it's amazing what you can do when forced by the circumstances.
 
I was unable to buy the authorized trash bags and the postage stamps that I am almost out of. I am borrowing two trash bags from the Exfactor until I can buy some myself and hope I won't yet need the stamps.
 
I spent the day doing the odd chore and taking care of some paperwork. The thing is, though, that I felt uneasy the whole time as if I didn't have things quite under control. I think it is the worry about my finances that upset me, but I also think that I worry about them too much. The feeling didn't leave me until after I had walked Tyke in the evening and I had a real sense that the weekend had started. I really do feel like I have those two days off when I don't have to worry so much and can relax a bit.
 
I don't know what happened to living 'in the moment' which I seemed to make an effort to do in the near past, but I don't seem to do much of it lately. I am constantly keeping my mind occupied with either the computer, or the sound of the radio, or the images on the television. I very seldom have everything turned off just to enjoy the silence and the solitude of my own company. I sure don't stare off into the middle distance much anymore.
 
I do very much keep up to date on what is going on in the world and am immediately informed of the latest news and worldwide opinions. At least I feel that I can form a realistic point of view about things. I am glad that I am a European and that I get my information from a number of different sources and not just my own country's news broadcast.
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Gail said...

So glad your knee is healing.

Maggie May said...

Glad to hear that your knee is doing well.
Hope you will find a cheaper shop for groceries.
I am dismayed how everything is going up in price.
Maggie x

Nuts in May