Monday, August 05, 2013

A sensible diet.

Tomorrow, after the domestic help has been here, I am going to the grocery store to buy sensible food. It will consist of fruit and vegetables and some fish. I will give up eating gluten and lactose and meat. Whatever I have leftover of that food, I will give to the Exfactor. These last few months I have wandered away from eating sensibly too much and it is time that I return to the basics. It's been fun eating so many different things, but in the long run, they are not healthy for me.
 
I especially look forward to eating many kinds of fruit, because right now there is much choice. Fruit has been absent from my diet, but I have been taking vitamin C tablets every day. It is, of course, better to get this directly from the source, not to mention all the other benefits there are from eating fruit. I have been fantasizing about eating honeydew melons and mandarin oranges, and the thought alone makes me happy.
 
I have to make sure that I get enough protein and will be eating legumes regularly. I do happen to like them and with the addition of fried up onions and some piccalilli, they are very good to eat. I like them plain too, but like them jazzed up a bit for flavor better. I will also have to stock up on applesauce and eat that along with them. There is no reason to make your food dull just because it is healthy.
 
I feel a bit ambivalent about the fish. I can't really afford to buy fish from domestic waters and will have to buy the imported kind. It doesn't have as much flavor and I am concerned about the source and the quality of it. You always hear all sorts of negative stories about it and I don't know how much truth is in them, but I think: where there's smoke, there's fire. I may do my best to get the domestic fish. That means eating less at a higher price.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

I've often said I love the colours of a healthy diet. Sunshine on the plate.

Good for you for making changes.

XO
WWW

Gail said...

I had a piece of home made chocolate fudge for dinner! Healthy!

Anonymous said...

This is a great time of year for all the fresh produce. Good for you to get back on the healthy eating again. I've been trying to do that also. I fall back into my old patterns but like you realize the need to take care of myself. Today my breakfast was a beaut. I had chopped in a bowl of cantaloupe, blueberries, strawberries and banana. I'm not a big fish eater and usually just buy the canned tuna and eat in in a wrap with lots of lettuce.