Wednesday, January 09, 2013

It is a heck of a ride.

The Exfactor and I rode our bikes to the Recycle Store yesterday and it is a good thing that he did not tell me ahead of time how far away it was because I would have refused to go that distance. It was way out in the boonies and I do not know why they chose that location because it seems highly illogical when you consider that the clientele has to get there without any form of public transportation.

I was looking for a wardrobe but we looked at a lot of other things in the store too, partly out of curiosity but also because we had come all that way and did not want to feel like we had wasted the effort. This actually turned out to be not such a good thing to do because as we walked around, the accumulated dust that was present there attacked me and gave me an allergy attack with swollen up hands and a sore throat and closed up ears. 

We looked at the wardrobes, most of which were out and out ugly, and for which outrageous prices were asked. This really surprised us because we were under the impression that this store existed for the benefit of giving people on a low income the opportunity to purchase thinngs for a very reasonable price. All the items there were donated after all. A new wardrobe could be bought for less money than they asked for theirs. 

I also took a very brief look at their clothes but it all looked rather poorly and frumpy and I decided that I would rather not take anything of the racks and buy new clothes instead. I really could not imagine trying on anything of which I did not know the origin. 

Going to the Recycle Store was not the experience I had imagined it would be and I doubt very much if I will ever go back there. I thought it was all rather depressing. I am on a low income and I am a member of the public who ought to be able to shop there but I almost feel insulted by the very notion. I said to the Exfactor that it was almost like a criminal organization that took advantage of people by making outrageous profits on donated items.

I went on line and saw new and better wardrobes for better prices and when the time comes, I will order one of them.

Everything in life is a learning experience and this certainly was one. The cost of it was not too high (one long disappointing bike ride and an allergy attack). The weather was nice enough and we did not get rained on and I got the romantic notion about recycling stores out of my system. I will find a smaller recycle shop that does not make such huge profits and donate to them instead in the future.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad the recycle store was so expensive - and dusty! I react to large amounts of dust too, so although I quite enjoy a good look in an antique store, I usually can't stay very long at all before I start to sneeze and itch.

Maggie May said...

It is a pity that Charity shops are getting so greedy and I find some of the *tops* are more expensive than the brand named ones that are in the big stores. I think that is outrageous.
Hope you get what you want.
Is there a Swedish shop beginning with *I* near you? In flatpack form the wardrobes are reasonable & quite stylish.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Reggie said...

Lessons come in many ways and fortunately this one didn't cost you monetarily. I'm sure you will find what you are looking for at the price that is sure to please.

Wisewebwoman said...

I was in a Charity shop today, Irene, and was astonished at how the prices have climbed. Some more expensive than the dollar stores for candles, etc.
A total ripoff and they are out in the boonies in your area to save on rent. Someone is making a pack of money.
At least you got your curiosity itched and not going back.
XO
WWW

Gail said...

I'm sorry that was a disappointment.

We have two shops in town and take donations and resell to help the abused and the poor.

I have found some bargains and the fun is in the looking.

Salvation Army in another county is my candy store. I could haul a truck load home every time I visit. I don't but I do enjoy dreaming of this piece or that piece.