Saturday, January 23, 2010

The third day...

Jesker did two important things today. He walked over to his water bowl and drank a lot of water and he made it outside, with a lot of encouragement from me, and did a piddle. It all seems to wear him out very much, though, and he seems as befuddled as he was before. He spends hours lying in the same spot not moving much and I can hear him breathe across the room.

The cats have been very subdued ever since he's been sick. It is as if they know that something is wrong. I have been pretty subdued myself. I spend many hours napping on the sofa and waking up and checking on Jesker. I did give myself a break and walked to the tobacconist and it was good to be out in the fresh air. I also bought a chocolate bar as a treat to myself. As if I needed that, right? Some calories are deliciously rich and make you feel good.

I was looking at my hair in the mirror today and realized that most of the color has pretty much disappeared out of it. It has been cut several times since I colored it and even with the special shampoo and the conditioner, it didn't keep that brown color that I had completely. I have a box of hair coloring in the bathroom and I have to make a decision if I'm going to color it again. I think I will, because I never did have that problem of my roots showing. I'm just waiting for the right moment to do it. In the meantime, I am using the shampoo and the conditioner to give it that sheen that I want. It's kind of a reddish brown, though to be honest, it's more of a reddish dark blond now. Not a bad color.

We were supposed to get a lot of frost tonight, but luckily it isn't going to happen and we're only going to get rain in the next couple of days, not snow. I'm glad the weather forecasters got it wrong, because if there's one thing I don't want it is snow. I've never felt so claustrophobic as when we had snow and ice.

It's been impossible for me to read during the day. I lay on the sofa and drift off into sleep and have strange dreams. I do read at night before I go to sleep in my bed. Somehow that's easier. I'm looking forward to that already and I can't wait to put my pajamas on.

Jesker doesn't follow me to the bedroom at night. He stays put wherever he is and doesn't have the energy or the awareness to get up. I try not to bother him too much, as I just want him to be comfortable wherever he is and he doesn't like to be picked up. I'm afraid of hurting him. It would be easier if he were a little dog, but he isn't.

I'm calling it a day and going to bed now. Maybe there will be a lot of improvement tomorrow.



Maggie May said...

What a worrying situation.
I see you mentioned going to the tabacconist ...... Need I ask.....?
Poor Jesker.
Hope you get some sleep. There is little you can do & it is silly to make yourself ill too.

Hope things are brighter in the morning.

Nuts in May

Twain12 said...

sounds like there is at least some improvement, i imagine rest is the best thing for him right now...i hope you get some rest too

Gail said...

I glad he is still improving.

laurie said...

ah, jesker. good boy. this is good.

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. Such a difficult time for you. I hope he is not in pain.

I dyed my hair this last week for the first time in over 6 months. I am still not used to it yet! I am used to my face being framed by a dull grey colour (though further down it was still a beautiful coppery colour).

Before I dyed it I could think to myself "I look rubbish because my hair needs dying". Now it's very clear to me that I look rubbish because I'm too fat! No hair dye can save my appearance.

Hope tomorrow is a much better day with Jesker.

(((Hugs to both of you)))
Bearfriend xxxxxx

Connie Rose said...

I'm so sorry Jesker hasn't been well. I certainly hope he improves, that this isn't the beginning of the end.
Love to you both!