Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Rude awakenings

It is an amazing thing that I don't run into furniture when I get up in the middle of the night and go to the kitchen with only the hallway light burning. By rights I ought to be stubbing my toes, banging my thighs and scraping my knees against all sorts of corners and edges and other dangerous protrusions that belong to all the furniture that has been moved around. Everything, except the bookcase, is in a different place and I take pride in the fact that, in the middle of the night, I remember that it is. 

The domestic help did a great job really finishing redecorating the living room properly yesterday morning because she is just like I am and there lurks an competent interior decorator deep inside of her. She always wants to make changes and would do so weekly if I let her. I have no real objections, but we don't always see eye to eye. She likes to place everything at right angles and I like some things at a 45 degree angle. We do make a good team together and yesterday I was the supervisor, of course.  We had a lot of fun together and were satisfied when the job was done. 

I have been told that I must not count on my old personal helper ever returning and that the new one will be my permanent one. Now I will never know what the cause was of the old one's sudden absence and why she will not come back. These sort of things are too personal and not talked about, although it is a shame, because she was my personal helper for almost four years and we were close. I do not even try to guess what the reason is because it will all be speculation. The good thing is that I like the new woman very much and I think that she is very competent, so it doesn't hurt me in the long run at all. 

I think that we, in combination with my therapist, will be able to achieve a lot. She is going to come and see me twice a week so she will be able to always get a good idea of my moods. They will not be long visits, but that is not necessary.  We need someone who can keep an eye on me and who can be objective and notice if anything about me changes and who can then ring the alarm bell if there is a need. Of course, getting a new personal helper was a change in my life that I had to deal with and that caused some havoc itself. 














No comments: