Monday, May 19, 2014

Murphy's Law

I wasn't going to mention it, but I hurt my back on Friday when I was moving furniture around on my own. I tried to pick up a pretty heavy cabinet and heard a very strange sound and felt a nauseating pain about a third of the way up my back. Since then I have been in constant pain and now I am undecided about what to do. I can go see the female GP, but then what? She can send me to the hospital for X-rays, but would they show a ruptured disk? They would show a crack in a vertebrae, but what could be done about that? 

I sure as heck don't need another complication in my life, but every time I decide not to bother about my back, I feel the pain and think that this is maybe not such a good decision. I sure as heck do have a streak of bad luck when it comes to physical disabilities. I was determined to keep moving along as I normally would, but that is impossible. My back even hurts when I sit down. I guess when I do well psychologically, something physical has to break down. This pretty much seems to be the story of my life. I hoped to get over this when I got older, but I think the phenomenon only gets worse as I age. 

The living room looks good because I did finish that job despite the pain, I just did it very slowly and carefully and unpacked every piece of furniture that I moved. The cabinet was the most difficult one to manhandle. Don't let it be said that I am not stubborn, but I don't think I will ever do anything like it again. I must have been caught up in moments of sheer madness when I finished putting everything in place, but then again, I was on my own and couldn't leave things standing where they were. 

And nothing ever hurts as bad as giving birth, right?








2 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Do you have chiropractors in NL? Maybe you just need an adjustment...maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part...probably you should have it checked out. Also, ice your back for 10 minutes every hour, as often as you can throughout the day, and for as many days as you can. Icing really helps, removes the inflammation. Even after I have an adjustment these days, which is rare, I'll ice for a few days to help things along. Hope your pain lifts soon. You're right, you don't need any new physical maladies, especially with your Am-Ex due to arrive soon. Be well! xoxo

Rob-bear said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this, Irene! A back problem is the last thing you need. (I have a painful back which I keep reinjuring, but I don't think it is anything like yours.)

Do see your doctor! The problem could be really serious, and the sooner you get to it, the better. In the meantime, please take care! And use some ice, as Connie recommended.

Blessings and Bear hug!