Friday, April 11, 2014

A rare thing

I am having that rarest of all things, and that is a glass of ice cold milk, but it is lactose free. I used to drink cold milk all the time and have terrible problems because of it, but I loved it so much that I took that as a given. Now that I have lactose free milk available, I very rarely just drink a glass of it because it is so expensive, but I decided to indulge myself. I still am not sure of how safe it actually is for me to drink and I have some doubts about it, but it sure tastes good going down and it is a great thirst quencher. I was also feeling a bit hungry and I thought it would take care of the worst pangs. It is not quite dinnertime yet and I still have to take Tyke for a walk.
 
Sometimes I feel like being reckless and throwing caution to the wind and do whatever the heck I want regardless of the consequences. I assume the best possible scenario will take place because I am an optimist and that I will have an interesting experience along the way. That is the reason why today I added another anti-depressant to the one I already take, despite the fact that my psychiatrist does not want me to do this. I felt so miserable this morning (as usual) that I decided an experiment was warranted and I went to my stock of medicines and found the one that I wanted. I googled it first and then took it and am planning on taking it a few weeks before I inform my psychiatrist.
 
I stopped taking the estrogen pills after I googled the information sheet in English which told me much more than the one in Dutch did. It said that one of the side effects was anxiety and I certainly have been having lots of that. There were other side effect and interactions with a medicine I am taking that sounded worrying and I decided that it was better if I didn't take it at all. I don't feel that I was informed correctly.
 
I have also stopped taking the anti-inflammatory medicine for the fibromyalgia and found out that this makes no difference at all and that it is enough just to take paracetamol if the pain gets especially bad. This leads me to believe that fibromyalgia is not an inflammatory disorder.
 
It is time to take my usual medicines and feel like a solid human being again, although I always wonder what I would be like without them.
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Glad you stopped taking the hormones. All you would have done anyway, is put off the menopause symptoms for six months, at best. Wasn't the reason you decided to take them in the first place, to alleviate the anxiety? Hormones are dangerous things, they have so many impacts on the body, most of which have nothing to do with menopause. I wouldn't take them if my life depended on it.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend. xoxo

Rob-bear said...

Experimenting with pills is an interesting sort of thing. and potentially dangerous. I do it occasionally, but it drives my doctor almost cray. You are reading up on them first, which is excellent — looking particularly for troublesome interactions. Please be cautious.

I have seen mentions in medical research literature that fibromyalgia may be an autoimmune disease. It's something the researchers are trying to establish. Whatever.

Blessings and Bear hugs!

Maggie May said...

You seem to be sorting everything out, Irene.
Another drug that causes problems are steroids, sometime given for fibromyalgia. They can cause really bad side affects with the mind. Hope you aren't on those.
Hoping your weekend goes well.
Maggie x

Nuts in May