Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In those little wee hours.

For the first time in a very long time, I am starting to feel like my old self again and I have to tell you that it comes as a great relief, because I have very much disliked being in this negative space I was in because of being sick. I now dare to hope that I am on the road of getting better and that my health really is going to improve from this point on. I hope this takes care of me getting sick for a very long time and next year I will get my flu shot, there is no doubt about it. I will never take a chance on getting this ill again. 

Very early yesterday morning, my sister picked me up to go to the hospital to get those X-rays made and the timing could not have been worse, because there was a snow storm and rush hour traffic. The roads had not been cleared yet, but my sister managed, through sensible driving, to get us to the hospital on time anyway. We could already see that the traffic on the way back was going to be horrendous, because it was backed up for kilometers. 

Having the X-rays made was as easy as pie and I was in and out of there in a few minutes. My GP will get the results today or tomorrow and I am not really concerned about it, because it will most likely just confirm that I have a pneumonia  and my GP has been treating me for that all along. I know that I do not want to take another course of antibiotics, because I have already had two and I think the last one has done enough damage to my intestinal flora. 

We were in and out of the hospital so quick, that we did not even have to pay for parking, but then the real journey home began. We slipped and slid, and so did other cars, and very slowly made some progress, but at one point, my sister decided to find an alternative route home and the funny part about that was, that we got stuck just ahead of a snowplow, so the road behind us was clean. It took us almost an hour to go just a few kilometers and my sister decided to work from home that day and not risk driving to the office. 

I have enough cabin fever to last for a lifetime and in the morning I am going to walk Tyke myself. I can not stand to not do it myself anymore and absolutely have to get out of the apartment. This backfired on me the last time I did this, but I think I was in worse shape then than I am now. I tell myself that crisp, freezing air is good for my lungs. I have already put my brace in my hiking boots and it fits just fine, so I will be surefooted at any rate. I can not wait to go out there and inhale the fresh air. 

So you see, I am full of optimism and good intentions. That is half the job. 


Lane Mathias said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend, Irene.

And well done to your sister for driving in those conditions!

Wisewebwoman said...

Boy you've have a rough go of it old girl.

I am glad you are on the mend.

Illness depresses me utterly so I can relate.