Tuesday, July 16, 2013

On being a kitchen princess.

Because I am able to sit down at the table and eat a meal of normal proportions now, it dawned on me that I can actually start asking people over for dinner and enjoy the food myself also. For this reason, I have gotten out the well worn 25 year old edition of my Betty Crocker cookbook and very eagerly started looking up recipes.
 
This turned out to be a lot of fun and I ended up reading recipes of all sorts of categories and was re-educated in the process. It teaches you the most basic ones, like the recipes for baking all sorts of biscuits and cornbread. When I do have people over for a meal, I want to fix real American food to surprise their Dutch palates with.
 
Every meal that I plan to prepare, I am going to try out on the Exfactor first. I think his taste buds are discriminate enough to tell me if it's a good enough one. He likes to cook himself and does fix all sorts of things and is not afraid to try something new.
 
I think I know what I am going to prepare for the first meal, but I also realize that my kitchen is not yet equipped very well, so I am going to have to do something about that little by little. The first thing I will have to get is a good muffin pan and after that I will have to get a good rectangular glass baking dish, but that will be for the second meal.
 
My ambition for the first meal is to fix shrimp jambalaya, and let me tell you: I will be the one who enjoys eating that the most. I love any sort of rice dish and I do like something spicy with shrimp in it.
 
I think preparing a good meal at home is the next best thing to going out to a very decent restaurant. If you want food that really tastes good and is prepared well, you have to pay a price for it and you may as well save yourself some money and buy the ingredients and fix that meal at home. That does not mean that I don't enjoy going out to a restaurant and enjoying the ambiance and having someone else cook for me. It just isn't going to happen very often.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Gail said...

There is always a great deal of joy in creating a much enjoyed meal.

Maggie May said...

Pity that I live so far away....... as I would have sampled it!!!!!!Love shrimp!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

VioletSky said...

Good for you!
I very rarely cook for myself anymore. And I have few friends who would come over for dinner - most of them can't be bothered or would rather eat out. Sigh.