Wednesday, February 03, 2010

His name is Tyke!


I am, as of 3:30 this afternoon, the proud owner of an 11 month old American cocker spaniel named Tyke. He is black all over except for under his tail, where he is white, which looks very cute.

I was very unsure about getting another dog when I found out about Jesker's tumor. At first I thought I wouldn't get another dog at all, but then I thought I would be awfully lonely without one and that I would very much miss the company and the routine and the loving care. Then I thought I would wait until Jesker was gone and that seemed like a sensible idea, but out of curiosity I started to visit the websites of all the local dog kennels and, of course, there were all the usual dogs there that nobody wanted. German shepherds, pit bulls, Jack Russel's, the usual assortment. I was not interested in getting any of those dogs.

This morning I went to the website of a kennel in Heerlen, which is a town twenty minutes away from here and saw, between all those dogs I didn't want, this wonderful American cocker spaniel. I couldn't believe it. It was a new dog and up for immediate adoption. I tried to put it out of my mind for a few hours, but couldn't and I kept thinking about that dog that was sitting there waiting for me. The problem was that I didn't have a ride, but then I remembered that I could call my friend Yvonne, who is a big dog lover herself, and ask her if she would take me there to pick up the dog.

I called her up and explained the situation to her and she was more than willing to take me there. She had planned to do the same thing when her dog before the one she has now died, but he died so suddenly, that she did not get a chance to pick out another dog until afterwards. She wanted to have another dog while he was still alive to ease the pain, so she understood what I was doing. Well, what really motivated me was the chance to get a good dog and they don't come along often. Just once in a while you see a dog like that at the dog kennels.

We drove over there and needless to say it was love at first sight. Here he was sitting in his cage with his sad looking eyes, but eager to make contact and very alert. The woman that worked there put him on a leash so I could get to know him better and he was all over me and all over Yvonne. He was so happy to be with people. I asked all the usual questions and was soon satisfied. Of course, we had to do all the paperwork and he had to get a chip in his neck with my information in it, but all in all it was a fairly painless operation.

Nobody needs to worry about Jesker not being a dominant dog, because he his. He made it clear from the start that he is in charge and that Tyke comes in second place. Anything Tyke can do, he can do better. He even steels his food and his toys, things he normally pays no attention to whatsoever. Dried dog food that he doesn't like. Rawhide bones that he never chews on. Tyke did manage to demolish one tennis ball on his own on the sofa. That took him about half an hour, so I need to get better balls. Well, everybody needs those. The cats let him know they weren't scared of him, so that was settled very quickly.

So, we have a new addition to the family and it will take some getting used to, but he is as cute as anything and listens well. We'll grow on each other in no time and do some real bonding, which he is very good at. He is very enthused when it comes to showing his love.

Oh, I don't like my template and I think some of you don't like it either, so I'm going to change it. The only one that comes close to the toad template has an animal on it that is very slow and sluggish, which may be appropriate for me, and it carries it's house on its back, which I think I do in the sense that I carry all my troubles with me. Also, I do like to go into hiding, just like this animal. I just hope it doesn't turn you off. I think it is just the least bit endearing and don't think of escargot.

Have a good evening, at least what's left of it. I've got to change my template and cuddle with both my dogs.

Ciao.

12 comments:

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. How amazed am I to read this! Wow! I think to have your new dog really will ease the pain of losing Jesker. And to get a dog that is just right for you is brilliant.

I can understand how worrying the loneliness after Jesker was so I'm glad you won't be suffering that and will still have a loyal companion. I didn't like to think that you would feel alone. And taking the dog for a walk is so beneficial in so many ways.

I'm very happy for you and hope he continues to settle in well!

Bearfriend xx

PS GET RID OF THE SNAIL! I much preferred the previous two templates and the frog as well. ANYTHING is better than a snail.

VioletSky said...

OMG. I am so happy for you!
A bit of a shock, tohear, but I understand and think it is a wise move. It is nice for Tyke that he gets to meet the 'old master' of the house!

(I don't mind the snail, but you aren't slimy like he is)

CorvusCorax12 said...

That is great news..we've never been without dogs and sometimes the younger dogs can perk the old once up.I'm very happy for you ♥

Maureen said...

Wow! Congratulatons! I know what you mean about jumping at opportunity when it knocks on the door... sometimes if you dawdle, you miss your chance.

It was meant to be, it seems.

Maggie May said...

Wow! You acted fast with that little doggie. He sounds lovely. I hope Jesker won't feel put out. Maybe it will give him the will to live on.
Hope he is house trained & doesn't chew the flat up.

As regards the snail I am getting out my salt!

Hope you have a peaceful night with those too dogs.

Nuts in May

Babaloo said...

Oh wow, I am SO happy for you! Delighted in fact. :) Such a great thing to happen!

BUT: We need a photo of that little Tyke. Urgently. Like now!

XOX

Wisewebwoman said...

I'm glad you changed your mind, you were so adament about not getting another dog!!
You need a dog and I'm glad you see that now and have actualized it.
I feel a little for Jesker, I really do, being displaced give extra snoggles please.
The snail has.to.go.
That's all.
XO
WWW

Chic Mama said...

I hope you are having fun with the new addition. :0)

lebanesa said...

Congratulations. well done on that.
I've been very busy and will be for another week or so, haven't been commenting, but glad your health is okay and that you have got a lovely dog to keep you company and help you through if you lose Jesker.
hugs

Bernie said...

Hello, I have popped over after reading your comment on Fairymix.
So glad you rescued a dog and giving it a loving home. I keep saying I am going to do this but so far I haven't, I have had a dog all my life then when my small poodle died a few years ago I decided I couldn't go through that pain again and wouldn't get another but now I am ready for one, they are such good company...
......:-) Hugs

Gail said...

Snail, toad or poo, I am here to see you. Do not let us influence you to change. I love you just the way you are.

Tyke!!!! Now who could see that coming? It is just like he was placed there for you. Alright!!!
Tyke may cheer Jesker up too.

I can't wait to see your new family addition.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely surprise to read of Tyke! Yes, yes, a photo, please. Preferably a photo of your two canine buddies, like the Old Master and his Young Apprentice. I hope you all settle in together nicely.