Thursday, November 28, 2013

What's the protocol?

I saw my GP yesterday, about the continuous pain in my left knee I have had since I tried to lift Tyke on the examination table at the vet in August and nearly passed out from it. At the time, I saw the orthopedic surgeon to ask him if I had hurt my newly operated on meniscus, but he said no, I had just contused my knee. I told my GP the history of my knee and she examined it carefully, and very quickly came to the conclusion that I had a torn meniscus, maybe one on each side of my knee. She then looked up my medical file in her computer and found the orthopedic surgeon's notes on the surgery and saw that he had operated on both meniscuses in my knee, which is something he had not told me.
 
This means I have to go through the whole process of getting a MRI scan and seeing a new orthopedic surgeon and having surgery again, but this time I will not go to the clinic I went to the first time and get helped sooner. I will probably go to the University Hospital here and deal with a waiting list, or go to one of two hospitals close by in the region.  If my sister is willing to drive me there, which I think she is, then I will do the latter.
 
I did the yoga class, and the Tai Chi, because I thought I was just dealing with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and could not figure out why my problems were getting worse. Both my hip and my knee were constantly bothering me and a lot after I had been to those classes. Now I realize, of course, that these exercises were the worst I could have done and I will have to stop going to those classes immediately.  I am upset about this because I really felt that I had found something very good for my body and mind to do, but this turns out not to be the case.
 
I am now looking into Aqua Gym, which is something especially for people over 55. The only problem is that it involves buying a pass to the indoor swimming pool complex and I am not sure of the rates yet. I have to find that out today. I am also looking into a Mindfulness training which also involves some yoga, but more of the meditative kind. At least I would get to use my yoga cushion and yoga mat.  
 
I have got to consider my options carefully and Rome was not built in one day. I am sure I will find the right thing.
 
  

2 comments:

Rob-bear said...

Oh, dear! This is not welcome news.

I understand that aquatic exercise is excellent for people with tender joints. And considering that Tyke is "sizeable" perhaps you should let the vet lift him in the future.

Do take care!

Blessings an Bear hugs!

Cate Rose said...

Ooh, I'm so sorry. Geez, it never ends, does it? And yes, DO NOT lift Tyke by yourself again! Take care.
Much love.