Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Grocery shopping...

I thought I had done the shopping for a whole week when I last went to the grocery store, but I am already starting to run out of some things, even though I am living frugally. That goes to show you that you can never plan carefully enough. I had to adjust my eating habits a little bit to make the food last as long as possible so I can postpone the moment when I have to go back to the store. I didn't have it planned in my budget to go before Friday.
 
Luckily, I am going to that grocery store that came out cheapest in the consumer test, so I can't wait to shop there to see if it really makes a difference. I will be buying a lot of the same items that I did the last time, so I will be able to make a good comparison. All the quarters and dimes that I save will add up to a good amount of money and that matters. Here I go already assuming that I will save those. I am a bit of an optimist.
 
Eating the way I am, with all those fresh vegetables in the pasta, is having its benefits and I am now convinced that it is the healthiest way to eat. I never before realized how important fresh vegetables are and how necessary to your diet. I completely underestimated that, even though it was proclaimed from the rooftops.
 
Depending on what vegetables are in season, I will eat what is available with my pasta. I will have to have a good look around the produce department and see what the exact choices are. The store I have been shopping at, has a lot of pre-sliced, pre-packaged vegetables for the convenience of the shopper and has a relatively poor choice in the rest of the vegetables. I hope this new grocery store will do better in the variety that is available that is not pre-sliced and pre-packaged, because those kinds of vegetables are expensive and you can't keep them for a long time in your refrigerator.
 
I have been enjoying the combination of crushed garlic and Italian herbs very much and I will have to look for both of them as my supply is dwindling. I make generous use of them because I like my food to be overwhelmingly flavored. I worry about running out of them when I am in the middle of preparing a meal and that is just about the worst thing I can imagine. There is nothing worse than not having your food turn out well because you did not have enough of some crucial ingredient.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

Maggie May said...

I eat a lot of pasta and add bits and bobs Its fairly cheap and you can do all sorts with it. I seem to be losing weight too! Mind you, I'm walking a lot.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Anonymous said...

That is SO frustrating to run out of an ingredient!
I wish I could creatively cook, but I require recipes. I have poor kitchen skills!