Friday, July 11, 2014

On an unstoppable train

It has been decided by the team of specialists that the very huge enlarged lymph node by my left lung, is really the primary tumor and is actually in my lung. I will be getting the treatment assuming that this is the case, because any less would soon mean the end of me. I will start the first set of chemotherapy this coming Tuesday and will have three days of it with one night in the hospital. Then I will have eighteen days off while my blood count goes back to normal. When it is, I will have another three days of chemotherapy and at that time the radiation therapy will also start. 

I will have three sets of chemotherapy and thirty days of radiation therapy when I will have to go into the hospital in the morning and in the evening to get a dose. Then I will have nine days when I will get a single dose every day. This is providing that I react well to everything and that it can all go according to schedule. Nobody said that this is going to cure me and I think I have to assume that it will possibly not. My survival chance is 25%. That is not very high.

The specialist in charge of my case is very good and she gives me a lot of confidence. I think I am in good hands. Yesterday, I also met the chemo nurse and the radiologist and I am equally impressed with them. Everything that is going to happen has been explained to me and also what the effects of the two therapies are going to be on my body besides hopefully destroying the cancer. It certainly is not going to be a party and I am in for some interesting times. I am, however, not scared and I know that this needs to be done. There is no other choice. 

Next week there is also going to be an MRI scan made of my brain to see if there is metastasis there. I am very much afraid that there is and that this is what the problem was with my eye. I see on photos of myself that my right eye droops a bit. All I can do is hope that this is not true and that nothing will be found. 

My sister was on a mission, and that was to find a few scarves for me for when the chemotherapy started and my hair would fall out. I was thinking of some plain square scarves, but she came over today with two large beautiful square ones that have the most wonderful colors. I took one and without looking in a mirror, tied it very elegantly around my head. It was such a success that I decided that I would not wait for my hair to fall out in bits and pieces, but that we should shave it off then and there. The Cowboy and my sister shaved it off in two stages (the Cowboy did the precision work) and now I have a bald head that is nicely wrapped in a beautiful scarf. 

Today was an exhausting day because I had to process so much information and make note of so many dates and details. It is a good thing that I am not trying to do this all by myself. I am using my very large coffee table as a work surface to keep all my papers pertaining to the cancer organized on. I still think that I am forgetting things and have to keep checking them. 

The Cowboy makes sure that there are always fresh flowers around which cheer up the living room tremendously. It is such a nice space to be in. We really do take our rest there when we get a break. I suppose I ought to go to bed now, but I like this bit of time by myself late at night. Outside there is a thunderstorm and it is very cozy in here. Regardless, I will say goodnight. 


Connie Rose said...

I'm so glad you have Erica and Chuck there to help and to just be with you. I'm hoping Chuck will be staying indefinitely at this point. All my love and best wishes to you, dear Irene. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I will be sending even MORE positive thoughtwaves your way starting on Tuesday. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I will be sending even MORE positive thoughtwaves your way starting on Tuesday. xoxo

Wisewebwoman said...

Oh you dear and darling lady, I was thinking of you when out tonight and how very brave you are in sharing this process with us.

We are on the journey too, holding you in love and light.


Maggie May said...

Many thanks for sharing this with us all and I do believe that this in itself will bring about a certain degree of positiveness and put your chances up a bit higher.
You are very brave and seem to be in very good hands.

I quite enjoyed the scarves....... I wore a different one every day!
Well done for having your head shaved.
It jolly well hurts when your hair starts to fall out.
I take it the hospital will be close by, which makes a huge difference to everything if you don't have to travel miles.

You'll be in my thoughts Irene and prayers.
Luv & hugs,
Maggie x

Nuts in May

Rob-bear said...

What a lot of things happening to you. More tests and a relatively heavy regimen of chemo and radiation!

Hairless with head scarves. Well, that is something new. And different. Perhaps you will feel less harried in the end. (OK, bad pun.)

I do hope the strategy works well, and doesn't kill you in the process!

Blessings and Bear hugs!

VioletSky said...

Oh dear. I don't know what to say, really. Except that I am constantly thinking of you.