Thursday, July 29, 2010

Update on Toby...

My cat Toby suddenly developed neurological problems that quickly went from bad to worse. He is unable to walk without falling over or to stand up. He can't eat or drink unaided and spends all of his time lying in the recyclable paper box. He doesn't groom himself and has lost a lot of weight.

The Exfactor took him to the vet and the vet said that an infection might be the cause, although there were no obvious signs of one and he is not running a fever. He gave him an antibiotic shot and we will know within 48 hours if it works. The vet is afraid, though, that Toby has permanent brain damage and that he will have to be put to sleep.

Toby is nine years old and I suppose he is old enough to develop problems. Still, you don't really expect them and not out of the blue.

I try to make him as comfortable as possible and get him to drink water and eat whenever he shows the least bit of interest. I constantly have him in view from my perch at the computer and on the sofa. Tyke goes and checks on him regularly. He definitely knows that something is really wrong.

I feel like I'm nursing a sick family member and am afraid to leave him on his own, because he tries to move about but is so incapable. He falls over every time he tries to get up and falls out of the box. He can't get the water and food on his own, I have to anticipate all of that. I also have to put him on the litter box.

That's how the situation is now. Maybe there will be improvement soon. You never know. Antibiotics have been known to do miracles. That's what I'm counting on.

Ciao,
Nora

12 comments:

Maggie May said...

He is only middle aged by human standards. 9 isn't any age for a cat at all.
I wonder if he has a brain tumour? I heard of a cat that acted like that with one.
maggie X

Nuts in May

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Sorry to hear about Toby.

FlowerLady

Cate Rose said...

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear about Toby. I'm hoping for the best. xox

CorvusCorax12 said...

hoping for the best too !!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Toby, Nora. I know how much you care about your animals. I'm hoping it all works out and that he's not suffering a whole lot. xo

Babaloo said...

So sorry there has been no improvement yet. Like Maggie May said, 9 years is still pretty young by cats' standards. I really hope the antibiotics work.
Hugs
XOX

Bernie said...

Oh Nora it doesn't sound like an infection if he is falling down and has no fever.....I hope it all turns around for Toby, so sad to see him ill. God Bless......:-)Hugs

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Thats so sad. Please pat Toby for me.
Prayers. I dont know why but Im not getting the updates from your blog like I should be.

Gail said...

My thoughts are with you.

laurie said...

oh man that is so sad. nine is so young for a cat. i'm so sorry. i hope he improves! but know you are doing all you can and making things easy for him. that's a lot.

Bernie said...

Just checking in to say hello and let you know I am thinking about you. I was hoping to hear how Toby was doing. Hope you are well, wishing you a good weekend....Hugs

VioletSky said...

I've been thinking about you and Toby...